Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

HAZELPAW | THUNDERCLAN FOREST

"I could practically be a warrior!" Hazelpaw flattened her ears in annoyance as Dewpaw gloated (again) over her bird. What was so impressive about a bird? This was Dewpaw's second time catching a bird, yet her sister acted like she achieved something amazing and new. Hazelpaw was certain this time was just to rub it in Hazelpaw's face since she hadn't caught a bird yet. Although, Hazelpaw did have this coming ever since Hazelpaw did it to Dewpaw, gloating about how she caught the first piece of prey before Dewpaw did for two days in a row. This was revenge.

"Hm," Larchtail, Dewpaw's mentor, hummed, "I don't know. Your sister caught more, thus providing more for the Clan."

Hazelpaw raised her head a little higher, pleased for being called out. What was especially satisfying was that Larchtail, not her mentor but Dewpaw's mentor, praised her.

"You're supposed to be on my side!" Dewpaw cried out, a hint of playfulness lacing her upset tone.

Larchtail grinned mischievously, whiskers twitching. "You're right. I am so sorry, Dewflower."

Dewpaw twitched her nose in distaste. "No, my warrior name would be Dewstrike! Because I am fierce!"

Hazelpaw rolled her eyes playfully. "No, it'd be Dewtail, because you are a pain in the tail."

Dewpaw pounced on her, beginning a playfight Hazelpaw readily accepted. After a minute of rolling in the dust, Hazelpaw's mentor, Palefang, broke it up.

"If you guys want to fight, we can take you out tomorrow and practice battle training. For now, let's go back to camp. My legs are getting stiff from sitting in the damp grass." Palefang meowed, nudging the two apprentices forward.

"I'll show Lynxpaw my bird!" Dewpaw mumbled around her bird after grabbing it, showing off the robin proudly.

Hazelpaw grabbed a mouse and a vole she had caught, trudging behind Dewpaw. These hunting sessions were always entertaining (even though Dewpaw slighty did dampen Hazelpaw's mood), but if her brother, Lynxpaw, accompanied them, those were more enjoyable to watch and participate in.

"Hazelpaw, give your mouse to the elders, then eat and rest." Palefang ordered her once they were in camp.

"Yes, Palefang." Hazelpaw bounded away, stopping briefly to drop her vole off at the fresh-kill pile. She finished her duty by poking her head into the elders den, giving the two elders a hasty greeting, leaving no room for conversation - for she was hungry and just wanted to eat - and dropped the mouse at Sandyfern's paws. She backed out quickly, stomach growling for prey. The mouse she had delivered to the elders had been a struggle to resist. Its blood had went down her throat, causing an irresistible crave for prey in that moment.

She picked out a squirrel and trotted over to where Lynxpaw lounged in the shade, eyes half-closed. Hazelpaw sat down with a thump beside him, making him jerk his head up.

"Hi!" Hazelpaw chirped.

"What... oh, hi Hazelpaw." Lynxpaw looked at her, but his eyes trailed down to the squirrel. "Is that for me?"

"No." Hazelpaw meowed too quickly. "But we can share it."

Lynxpaw shrugged. "Sounds good to me."

The two siblings devoured the squirrel quickly. Hazelpaw buried the bones once they were done.

"How was training?" Lynxpaw mewed.

"Good. Dewpaw caught another bird." Hazelpaw's annoyance had worn off, and now she felt truly happy for Dewpaw.

"So she told me," murmured Lynxpaw. Teasingly, knowing Hazelpaw was a tad bit jealous, he added. "I won't be able to catch one."

Hazelpaw snorted. "Your tail won't stop you."

"I'll mess something up because of it." Lynxpaw meowed calmly. His bobbed tail never bothered him anymore. Although, Hazelpaw did disapprove of his jokes about his own tail. He hunted and fought well despite his shortened tail.

He should give himself more credit. Hazelpaw thought.

Lynxpaw frowned at Hazelpaw's thoughtful face, then spoke up. "What are your thoughts on the murderer running loose?"

"Huh?" Hazelpaw blinked. "Oh, uh, I don't know. I think the murderer is in WindClan, since they lost two cats."

"We lost one, and SkyClan lost one." Lynxpaw murmured, eyes rounding into a look of curiosity. "Why WindClan? No murderer is so devoted they'd walk through our territory to kill one SkyClan cat."

Hazelpaw took these words, but if she was being honest, she didn't really care where or who the murderer was. "I guess. So what are you hinting at?"

"The murderer is here." Lynxpaw meowed simply.

"Uh-huh. Who would it be, then?" Her Clanmates were loyal! How dare Lynxpaw accuse one of murder?

"Not the slightest clue." This conversation was starting to stick in her head. A sudden urge to figure out who the murderer was made her bones buzz with energy - and fear. If Lynxpaw's assumption was right, she couldn't trust a certain cat.

"Then again, there could be two or three murderers." Lynxpaw pressed on.

Hazelpaw froze up. "A team of killers?"

"Maybe. Or they do not know each other. Perhaps they'll try to kill each other." Hazelpaw's brother yawned and stretched. "I'm going to find Turtlecreek."

"She's on patrol." Hazelpaw meowed immediately.

"Oh." Lynxpaw slumped back down.

Hazelpaw looked around camp, her gaze landing on each cat. Honeypool, the Clan deputy, was sitting with Sweetberry, discussing quietly with her.

Curiosity tugged her paws forward to eavesdrop, but Hazelpaw stopped herself and continued looking.

The camp was quite bare; every cat seemed to be on patrol, minus Palefang, Larchtail, Hollymoon, and Doeblaze. The elders were in their den and the queens and the kits seemed to be napping.

"I'm going to my nest." Hazelpaw muttered, padding away.

---

second chapter, done! it is a bit shorter than intended, my apologies.

-artemis