Chapter Twenty One

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

SHELLPAW | SHADOWCLAN CAMP

Shellpaw nearly choked on a tough bit of frog skin when a ShadowClan patrol burst through, a ThunderClan patrol in tow. He spat the skin out, watching the ThunderClan cats closely. They seemed frantic, paws moving to and fro. In the lead was Honeypool and behind him were three warriors he had never met.

Wait! Shellpaw was on his paws immediately, claws out. One of the warriors on the patrol looked awfully familiar. Horror grasped his heart when he realized it was the cat who killed Maplefern.

It has to be! I mean, I'm not sure, but she fits the description. Shellpaw's claws dug into the ground.

Volepounce had padded over, addressing the patrol.

"Greetings Honeypool," Shellpaw watched Volepounce greet each cat, waiting to catch the killer's name, "Sweetberry, Ivypelt, and Hollymoon."

Hollymoon. The name played in his mind. He even whispered it. He studied her, noticing how she seemed carefree, gazing around the camp.

Looking for her next victim, I bet. Shellpaw clenched his teeth. He couldn't stand here when he knew who killed Maplefern now! When Hollymoon's calm green eyes met Shellpaw's, Shellpaw noticed how quickly she looked away. He had to admit how she kept her cool was quite impressive.

"Where's Snakestar?" Honeypool asked.

"He's, ah, not feeling too well," Volepounce murmured, "but you can tell me."

"We have found the murderer." Honeypool announced, loud enough for cats on the other side of camp to hear.

Her? Say Hollymoon, say Hollymoon! Shellpaw leaned forward.

"Who?" Emberlight, a brown tabby, perked up.

"Sootripple." Honeypool shook his head sadly. "He had so much potential. He went down the wrong path." Honeypool's eyes flashed with an emotion Shellpaw couldn't name.

Some cats starting murmuring about how they enjoyed Sootripple's presence and how this came as a baffle.

"Oh... I see." Volepounce meowed, shaking his head.

"That's not all. I understand some cats may want to just talk about this, so WindClan and ThunderClan have decided that an emergency Gathering will take place tomorrow at sunhigh. Are you coming?"

"I suppose. Snakestar shouldn't be opposed." Volepounce meowed slowly, as though thinking about what words he should use.

Sootripple? Shellpaw finally thought after digesting what Honeypool had said. How could it be him? I don't remember him too well, but he is dark-furred. The murderer could've been dark-furred and just looked like they had black fur under the shade.

Shellpaw scowled at the ground. Why was this so complicated?

"Do we need to tell RiverClan?" Volepounce asked.

"No, WindClan has that covered." Honeypool turned around. "We'll be heading out now."

Volepounce inclined his head in a respectful gesture. "Olivepelt, Crickethop, please escort them to their border."

Shellpaw tore his gaze away, finishing his frog. He got up and stretched his limbs, shaking his fur.

I wonder how Seedpaw is. Shellpaw turned to the medicine cat den. Tawnythorn has been bad-tempered lately... I wonder if it's rubbing off to Seedpaw. He grew concerned for his sister; he didn't want her to be an short-tempered medicine cat like her mentor.

His train of thoughts didn't stay centered on his sister, though. He paced back and forth, thinking about what Honeypool had said.

Why did Hollymoon just look so familiar, then? He couldn't explain that. He certainly never saw her particularly at Gatherings or coincidentally met at the same time on a border patrol.

Should I confide in Seedpaw? I don't want to carry this on my shoulders alone.

***

Shellpaw was yet again on his way to the Gathering island, but this time when the sun was perched high in the sky.

On this patrol were cats who knew Maplefern or Sootripple quite well and just wanted to talk it out. Snakestar was leading, but he was visibly unwell. His eyes didn't look quite right and just the way he moved made Shellpaw feel... off.

Seedpaw had told Shellpaw Snakestar was just paranoid, and how he had been staying up all night - every night - once Maplefern had died. Shellpaw wasn't convinced, but he kept his doubts to himself.

The travel was silent overall, with tiny conversations here and there. Shellpaw didn't engage in any of the talks, just walking and looking forward. ShadowClan eventually arrived at the log and crossed without problem. ThunderClan and SkyClan were already there, mingling as though it were a normal Gathering.

Shellpaw sat down with Seedpaw, a comfortable silence between them until WindClan and RiverClan arrived.

None of the leaders wasted a moment to get this started.

"Cats of all Clans!" yowled Nectarstar. "This emergency Gathering has commenced."

"The killer who has been terrorizing us all for quite some time has been found and exiled." Beestar announced, head high. "Sootripple of ThunderClan."

Shellpaw lurched forward, and felt like his gut had just been kicked. Seedpaw asked him quietly and hurriedly if he was okay, but he didn't listen to her.

It can't have been Sootripple alone. He wasn't the one who killed Maplefern. If Shellpaw thought about it more and more, the killer had been a she-cat.

Hollymoon. That was the only name he kept repeating in his head. We're not done with murders. He scouted for her in the crowd, surprised to not find her.

"...Finchthorn of WindClan, and lastly, Drizzlefur of ThunderClan." Snowstar announced sullenly. "These cats were his victims-"

"I told you ThunderClan had the killer." Snakestar spat, eyes wild.

Nectarstar's tail-tip started flicking slowly, but before Nectarstar could hiss at the ill-mannered leader, Snowstar simply dipped her head.

"You certainly did." Snowstar deadpanned. "Can we move on?"

"Hmph." Snakestar sat down, tail curling around his body. "Fine."

Seedpaw shot Shellpaw a concerned glance once Shellpaw had regained his composure, biting her lip. "Are you feeling well, Shellpaw?"

Knowing he should probably confide in his sister, he shook his head. "It's not Sootripple. Or, in the very least, he didn't kill Maplefern."

Seedpaw waited, clearly wanting him to continue.

"I think Hollymoon killed Maplefern." Shellpaw waited for Seedpaw to process what he said.

"You were the one who saw Maplefern's killer, so I guess you know what they looked like best. But do you even know what Sootripple looked like?" Seedpaw asked.

"Um, dark brown?"

"He looks as though he actually has black fur." Seedpaw corrected.

"But I know the killer was a she-cat. Hollymoon fits the description perfectly. Trust me, Seedpaw."

Seedpaw shrugged. "I trust you. I know you're not mouse-brained. Don't be like Snakestar though and accusing cats, 'kay?"

Shellpaw purred weakly. "I would never."

The two apprentices listened to the rest of the Gathering, which was mainly cats sharing fond memories of murdered ones.

---

-artemis