Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

SHELLPAW | SHADOWCLAN CAMP

Shellpaw quietly watched his sister, Seedpaw, set herbs out to dry. He didn't know what else to do. He had nothing to do until dusk, which was close, but not close enough to get enthusiastic about the patrol.

"Are you just going to sit there and watch me?" Seedpaw asked without looking up.

"It's mildly interesting. Why do you care?" Shellpaw responded calmly.

"I never thought this was interesting to watch." Seedpaw stood up. "I don't know why Tawnythorn believes these will dry out with the sun almost gone, but she knows best."

Shellpaw looked at the descending sun, its dying light filtering through the low-hanging branches of pine trees. The light touched the damp herbs, but the light would soon slither away, leaving its job incomplete.

"That's all I have." Seedpaw licked a paw and swiped it over her ear. "I'm going to go check on Volepounce. Tawnythorn hasn't returned yet, so it's up to me to redress his cobwebs." Just as she began to stalk away, she glanced over her shoulder. "Want to come?" Amusement laced her exhausted tone.

"I have nothing better to do," muttered Shellpaw. How had he come to this, watching his sister do her job? He became a warrior for a reason and not a medicine cat for a reason. Today was definitely the most boring day ever.

In the dark den, Volepounce's pale brown pelt stuck out. Shellpaw sat down with a huff, watching Seedpaw shuffle over to the herb store, grabbing herbs Shellpaw couldn't name.

Shellpaw zoned out, watching but not watching, listening but not listening. He was snapped out of his trance when Littlewish, his mentor, called his name. Finally! His heart raced in his chest as he leapt to his paws.

Bidding farewell to Seedpaw, Shellpaw hurried out, meeting with Littlewish and two other warriors, Sunnycloud and Dustcloud.

"We'll be patrolling SkyClan's border today." Sunnycloud informed the patrol, waving her tail as she walked out. Shellpaw fell in step with Littlewish as they padded after Sunnycloud. Shellpaw waited for the moment to come when he led a patrol as a warrior.

"Do you think the murderer will kill one of our cats?" Dustcloud started an uneasy conversation.

Shellpaw pricked his ears, eager to hear what his mentor had to say.

Littlewish shrugged. "It's a possibility. Let's not dwell on that, though." She gave Dustcloud a warning glare. "That's too frightening for young ears to hear."

"I'm not scared," protested Shellpaw, dying to hear more.

Littlewish smiled softly, but her smile felt wrong. "I'd prefer you aren't involved in these conversations, and I'm sure your parents would prefer that too."

Shellpaw fumed silently. What was so bad talking about a killer around him? He was old enough not to have nightmares.

The patrol walked slowly, slower than they had been going, letting Shellpaw cool off. He looked at the needle-strewn floor in front of him, wondering if SkyClan was crossing their border at all. They had no reason to, but Shellpaw could never trust the other Clans. They were all territory-hungry.

That's what makes ShadowClan great! Shellpaw reflected proudly. We know to stay in the boundaries our ancestors established.

"Remark the boundaries." Sunnycloud finally broke the silence. "Scent for SkyClan, although I doubt they've crossed the border."

Shellpaw sniffed at bushes, remarking if it smelled quite faint. Soon enough, the four cats remarked the borders with no problems and met back up.

"Let's hunt while we're out here. I am starving." Sunnycloud decided.

Shellpaw felt uneasy with the sun down, giving him no light to find solace in. What if the murderer killed him in the dark?

I'm not scared! Shellpaw reminded himself, but the shadows closing in made his shoulder fur rise subconsciously. I could ask Littlewish to hunt with me... no, no. I got this.

Sunnycloud stopped them in a clearing. Turning to her patrol, she flicked her tail. "Go, but come back here once you have found prey for yourself. Extra is always welcome." With a small smile, the calico trotted away.

"Good luck." Littlewish meowed in Shellpaw's ear, walking away.

Dustcloud had melted away without a trace, leaving Shellpaw in the clearing alone. Spooked, he raced silently after Littlewish, keeping his distance from her. He'd break off of her trail soon. He wasn't following her because he was scared, be assured. He was just cautious.

He swerved to the left, scenting a mouse. He crouched, creeping forward. He spotted the light gray mouse, thankful it was easy to spot. He tried to not think about the blackness at the edge of his vision, but a chill successfully passed through his spine. He crawled forward quicker, wanting to go back to camp, where he'd be safe. He caught the mouse, rising to his paws.

Immense rustling to his right made his fur spike out. He dropped the mouse, claws sliding out.

"Hello?" What if he was speaking to prey right now? He scared potential prey away and humiliated himself in front of - wait, who? Just himself.

The bush made an angry sound, a hiss erupting from it. Shellpaw jumped, grabbing his mouse and running.

"Wait! Ow - Shellpaw!" A voice cried from the bush. "I didn't mean to scare you off. I'm stuck."

It was Littlewish. Relief ran through his body.

"Oh, sorry. You scared me." Shellpaw meowed, retracing his steps.

"I knew that murder talk would frighten you." Littlewish's meow came from the bush.

"Er," heat rushed up into his face, "I wasn't scared about the murderer potentially being the bush."

"Why'd you run?" Littlewish asked, amused.

"C-Could've been a fox." Shellpaw meowed, glad Littlewish couldn't see what had been going through his brain when she moved in the bush.

"Hm, okay. Now help me out of this bush before Sunnycloud and Dustcloud wonder where we are." Littlewish struggled to get out, but to no avail.

Shellpaw rushed to help his mentor. "Why are you in there, anyway?"

"I was watching you hunt. Good catch, by the way." Shellpaw clawed a branch away. Littlewish's muzzle poked out. He continued to claw and break branches off until Littlewish was out. Her fur was knotted and twig-strewn as a result, but she didn't stop to groom. She indicated to Shellpaw to grab his prey and began heading back to the clearing. Shellpaw quickly grabbed his mouse, not welcoming the idea of being left alone. He sprinted to catch up, nearly skidding into a bush of thorns.

"There you two are!" Sunnycloud cheerfully greeted them. She eyed Shellpaw's mouse. "Caught two pieces of prey?"

Shellpaw shook his head. "I haven't gotten a chance to eat it yet."

"Why..." her question was answered when she looked at Littlewish. "What, in the name of StarClan, happened to you?"

Littlewish purred. "I got stuck in a bush while watching Shellpaw."

The patrol began to head back to camp, a warm conversation involving every cat on the way back.

---

one of the cutest apprentice-mentor duo, trust me. littlewish and shellpaw get along so well.

-artemis