Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

ROSEPAW | WINDCLAN CAMP

Rosepaw woke up, blinking sleepily. Did she have to wake up? She wasn't looking forward to being bossed around by Rowanmask. Pulling herself out of her nest, she glanced around for her mentor. To her surprise, he was nowhere in sight.

She swiftly walked outside. The sun was high in the sky, blinding her momentarily.

Rosepaw didn't see Rowanmask around camp either. Curious now, she trotted up to Mousefang, a warrior she treated once. "Where's Rowanmask?"

"I don't know. Sorry, Rosepaw." Mousefang tossed her an apologetic glance before perking up. Aspenflower had called his name. "Go ask Hollowbranch; he might know." He trotted away.

Rosepaw walked across the camp to Hollowbranch. She felt nervous when she saw he was talking with a group of cats. She didn't want to seem rude and interrupt them, but she was dying to know where her annoying mentor was.

"Um..." she stood awkwardly behind Lionsun, trying to catch Hollowbranch's gaze. She failed miserably, so she cleared her throat loudly.

Every cat turned their head to her, heads tilted.

Lionsun looked over her shoulder, jumping a little. "Why are you behind me?"

Rosepaw ignored her. Instead of addressing Hollowbranch solely, she asked the whole bunch. "Do any of you know where Rowanmask went?"

Hollowbranch nodded. "I saw him by the lake when I was out hunting. He was collecting herbs. He seemed grumpy, so I kept my distance." Hollowbranch closed his eyes, reopening them with a grin. "That tom is unpredictable when he's having a down day."

The rest of the cats murmured their agreement.

One of the cats looked Rosepaw directly in the eye. "You're so fortunate to have such a good mentor, though. He's so funny."

Funny isn't the first word I think of. Rosepaw thought sourly, keeping that to herself.

"He sure is." Rosepaw muttered sullenly, turning away before they could ask what they did to change her demeanor so quickly. She headed back into the medicine cat den, pondering why Rowanmask went to gather herbs.

He probably doesn't trust me anymore since I failed to being back honey. Rosepaw thought, hopeful. Did that mean she never had to run herb errands anymore?

Gentle pawsteps behind her made Rosepaw whirl around, fur on end. She could already imagine Rowanmask's sour, disapproving look. To her immense relief, it was Kestrelheart, her mother.

"What are you doing here, Kestrelheart?" Rosepaw asked, smoothing her fur with a swift lick.

Kestrelheart purred. "Am I not allowed to visit you? I feel like I never see you nowadays." Her eyes gleamed sadly.

Rosepaw padded up to her mother, wanting to rest her head on Kestrelheart's flank. It was true; she never saw her mother. Since Rowanmask sent her out every day dawn to dusk, family time had been pushed to the back of her mind.

"I welcome it." Rosepaw murmured, sitting down. "I need it."

Kestrelheart rested her muzzle on Rosepaw's head, sighing. "Is your medicine cat ceremony next half-moon? Dawnpaw is being assessed soon - tomorrow, actually."

Rowanmask won't make me a medicine cat until he dies. Rosepaw thought, keeping it to herself as always. "I think medicine cat apprentices earn their names at sixteen moons..."

"Oh, I didn't know that." Kestrelheart paused, a thoughtful look resting on her face. "I guess I learn something new every day."

Rosepaw hummed in agreement, staring past Kestrelheart in case Rowanmask decided to barge in and ruin the moment.

"How is my brother treating you?" Kestrelheart asked, catching Rosepaw's eyes. "I hear you two fight a lot."

"We're that loud?" Rosepaw ducked her head in embarrassment. Rosepaw knew Kestrelheart was probably ashamed that her daughter fought with her brother (who was Rosepaw's uncle, but he didn't deserve that title).

"No. I meant that Rowanmask tells me when these things happen." Kestrelheart closed her eyes, shaking her head. "I just want you to know... Rowanmask will eventually come around. I can tell he cares for you, but-" she broke off, eyes widening. "I can't - Rowanmask would be upset if I said a word."

"A word about what?" Suddenly interested, Rosepaw would try to get the information out of Kestrelheart. "You can trust me - I won't tell a soul."

Kestrelheart looked at her daughter, then over her shoulder, then back to Rosepaw. She finally bit her lip. "Fine. You see, Rowanmask can technically take on a mate since he's a tom and doesn't need to look after kits. So Rowanmask decided to search for one. He found a potential mate in Acornberry, who also saw the same in him. Rowanmask and Acornberry were beginning to develop affectionate feelings and such a few moons later, but..." Kestrelheart trailed off.

"But...?" Rosepaw was leaning forward, intrigued.

"Rowanmask won't appreciate me telling you about this." Kestrelheart murmured uncertainly.

"He'll never know." Rosepaw promised eagerly.

Kestrelheart stood up abruptly. "Rosepaw, I can't. Forget what I just told you."

Rosepaw frowned, wanting to know more. But she knew Kestrelheart was quite loyal to her siblings, regardless if Rosepaw was her kit or not.

Kestrelheart shook her fur out, standing up. "I should probably go now. I'll see you tomorrow. Also, Rosepaw, don't go asking other cats. No one knew about this. Not even I did, until Rowanmask told me."

Rosepaw nodded, watching Kestrelheart leave the den. A few minutes later, Rowanmask entered, jaws full of herbs.

I'll figure out your backstory... Rosepaw narrowed her eyes, determined.

---

i love kestrelheart and rosepaw moments <3 so cute. anyway, i forget if this is in the code or not, but i allow medicine cats who are toms to take on mates if they wish to. rowanmask does have a neat backstory that i'm excited to share.

-artemis