Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

SHELLPAW | LAKE SHORE

Shellpaw trudged behind his sister, looking tiredly at the ground. His new denmates had kept him awake all night long, somehow still blabbing their mouths off about how great it was to be apprentices. Although, he did silently agree that going to the Gathering was exciting when they talked about that topic, so he couldn't get on their tails about that.

Speaking of those four apprentices, they were bouncing behind him, loudly talking about how it was forbidden to ruin the peace at the Gatherings. His ear flicked when one of them (he wasn't quite sure which one) wondered what would happen if they purposely angered cats.

Let's hope they're not that mouse-brained. Shellpaw thought to himself with a tiny huff. He looked around Seedpaw, spotting the log that the Clan cats used to get to the Gathering island. Currently, there was a traffic jam. WindClan was using it, and RiverClan was behind them, waiting. However, some RiverClan cats didn't want to wait and started swimming effortlessly beneath the log. ShadowClan halted, giving both Clans their respectful space. Beestar, noticing both of the waiting Clans, nudged WindClan cats up faster, ordering them to just go.

Eventually, WindClan and any RiverClan cats that didn't swim crossed. Shellpaw bunched his muscles and jumped, not wanting Snakestar's help. His first time crossing this log he didn't have Snakestar stalling by this log, helping cats up. Apparently, some RiverClan apprentice tried to jump up and failed, twisting their paw in result. All five leaders decided it would be best for themselves to go last and help any cat.

Shellpaw sent a quick glance over his shoulder, seeing Snakestar help all of the younger apprentices up. He looked back, not wanting to fall in. Unsheathing his claws a little more, he trotted across, keeping his eyes on Seedpaw's fluffy gold tail.

"Wow! Look at all the other cats!" Mousepaw squeaked from behind.

Shellpaw jumped off the log, watching Mousepaw jump down and marvel at everything. Littlewish had told him to introduce the four new apprentices to his friends so they wouldn't have trouble finding friends. Shellpaw did tell her they were quite social, but she waved him off and simply told him to or else. He didn't want to find out what the 'or else' would end up as. Possibly on bedding duty for a few days in a row.

"Do you guys want to meet some cats?" Shellpaw asked, annoyed when they were still in their own world. "Do you guys want to meet some cats?" He repeated, much louder.

Batpaw noticed first and nodded. "What kind of cats? RiverClan? ThunderClan?"

"All sorts." He whisked his tail, hoping the others were following. He found his group of friends easily; his group consisted of Frecklepaw, Ryepaw, Lakepaw, Dewpaw, and Adderpaw. He knew all of them pretty well except for Dewpaw and Adderpaw. Dewpaw usually just hung out with them and whoever she was friends with.

When Shellpaw approached with the younger apprentices, Dewpaw's nose twitched. She looked away, grinning awkwardly at Adderpaw.

"Hey!" Moosepaw noticed Dewpaw's rude motion. "Do you think we smell bad?"

"It happens every time..." muttered Dewpaw. "Who are you, anyway?" Her yellow eyes bored into Moosepaw's.

"M-Moosepaw." Moosepaw clearly felt uncomfortable under Dewpaw's unblinking stare. Shellpaw took a look around and noticed Frecklepaw pat the ground next to him. Shellpaw gratefully took a seat next to him and watched Dewpaw's demeanor change.

"Hm." Dewpaw shook her fur out. "My name is Dewpaw!" Anything that had just happened had apparently disappeared, since Dewpaw hopped over and dipped her head.

Moosepaw's eyes brightened, a little confused by the sudden joy. "The ginger-and-white tom is Bearpaw, the gray she-cat is Mousepaw, and the dark gray tom is Batpaw!"

"I could've introduced myself." Bearpaw mumbled, scowling at Moosepaw. Moosepaw didn't notice.

Before anymore words could be spoken, a leader's cry made their heads turn.

"Cats of all Clans!" Snowstar, SkyClan's leader, caterwauled. "Since there was quite the traffic jam at the log, we have lost precious time to talk amongst ourselves. It is time to begin."

"I'd like to start." Beestar stepped forward. When no leader challenged him, he continued. "WindClan is proud to announce a new warrior, Dawnstream!"

"Dawnstream! Dawnstream!" Shellpaw spotted Dawnstream, chest puffed out and head high.

She's Rosepaw's sister, right? Shellpaw thought idly, brought back to the present by Beestar's booming voice.

"And WindClan has three new apprentices, Lightningpaw, Cloudpaw, and Rainpaw!"

"Lightningpaw! Cloudpaw! Rainpaw!"

"Prey has been plentiful. That is all." Beestar stepped back.

Marigoldstar stood up. "RiverClan has been blessed with Brightblossom's kits: Fishkit, Shadekit, and Poppykit."

Affectionate murmurs raced through the crowd. Kits were always a good sign, no matter the Clan.

"We also have two new warriors, Hailhop and Swiftlake!" Two cats farther away perked up. Dewpaw muttered something under her breath.

The Clans cheered for them.

Marigoldstar stepped back after saying that was all. Snakestar took her place, his dark amber eyes weaving through the crowd.

"I know one of you killed Maplefern." He growled, lip peeled back in disgust. Cats, disgruntled by this sudden accustation, looked amongst each other.

"Don't get too hasty, Snakestar." Snowstar murmured.

Snakestar whipped around, facing her. He sneered. "You shouldn't be speaking, Snowstar. One of your cats killed Maplefern." He paused momentarily, then raked the crowd with a glare. "Or one of ThunderClan's."

Shellpaw flattened his ears. He hadn't thought about Maplefern's killer for quite a while. Fur standing up on his shoulders, he searched through the crowd. He honestly didn't know if the killer had black fur anymore; it could've been a dark-furred feline. Dark brown, dark gray, black... so many possibilities - from two Clans!

"I'd rather finish this Gathering peacefully than shoot accusations back and forth." Snowstar meowed calmly. Her green eyes betrayed nothing.

"Well said, Snowstar." Nectarstar nodded. "Do you have any news that doesn't concern your dead deputy?"

"How dare you disregard her like that! She has a name." Snakestar snapped.

"Snakestar, shut up. You're humiliating our Clan." A new voice sliced through the rising tension. Tawnythorn stood, bristling and glaring up at her leader.

If there were any small talks happening in the crowd, the faded immediately. An uncomfortable blanket of silence befell the Clans as Snakestar stared at his medicine cat, shocked and betrayed.

"ShadowClan is going." Tawnythorn spat. When no cat moved, she rolled her eyes. "I have more power than him. Come on, ShadowClan." Seedpaw scurried after her mentor, eyes concerned. Shellpaw watched her, then did the same. Bearpaw, Batpaw, Mousepaw, and Moosepaw copied him, heads low. More ShadowClan warriors soon came.

---

five more chapters to go - minus the epilogue! ^^

-artemis