Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

SHELLPAW | SHADOWCLAN CAMP

"Today we gather for the making of four new apprentices. Mousekit, Batkit, Moosekit, and Bearkit, step forth." Snakestar huffed, squinting his eyes to see the four kits clearer. Shellpaw briefly pondered how much longer his current leader would last. Snakestar was definitely ancient, so any moon now the old tom would die in his sleep.

Bearkit and Mousekit shared enthusiastic looks while Moosekit struggled to stay calm. Batkit had already lost it. If he wasn't told to stand there, he'd be bouncing off the walls.

Shellpaw swallowed an amused purr. He remembered how he had acted at his ceremony. He had been bouncing off the walls, while Seedpaw had been his counterpart, sitting there calmly and collectively.

It's always the kits who want to be medicine cats that will stay calm. Shellpaw reflected.

Snakestar's ragged voice brought his attention back to the present. "...you four are now hailed as Mousepaw, Batpaw, Moosepaw, and Bearpaw." The old tom paused, chest heaving for a breath. "Mousepaw, your mentor will be Blossomheart. Blossomheart, you are cunning and patient. Pass these qualities onto Mousepaw.

"Batpaw, your mentor will be Darkspots. Darkspots, you are understanding and flexible. I trust you'll teach this energetic tom well.

"Moosepaw, your mentor will be Rootflower. Rootflower, you have shown compassion and encouragement to cats who doubt themselves. I believe you'll boost Moosepaw's confidence up.

"Last but certainly not least, Bearpaw, your mentor will be Olivepelt. Olivepelt, you are wise and a superior hunter. Teach Bearpaw your hunting skills and wisdom."

The four apprentices paced restlessly around their mentors, tails lashing in anticipation.

"Mousepaw! Batpaw! Moosepaw! Bearpaw!" The Clan cheered.

"Clan dismissed." Snakestar jumped down. Maplefern took his place to begin organizing patrols. Shellpaw listened eagerly for his name.

"That's a lot of new denmates," murmured Seedpaw, showing up at his shoulder.

Shellpaw nearly leapt out of his fur, focusing his attention to her. "StarClan, Seedpaw! Don't do that!"

"Do what?" Seedpaw tilted her head, but eventually figured it out. "Oh. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Shellpaw!" Littlewish called. "We're going on a hunting patrol." Maplefern and Gorgefall flanked her, watching the gold-splotched tom pad over with impatient eyes.

"Where are we hunting?" Shellpaw questioned.

"Near SkyClan's border," was all Maplefern meowed, her tone cropped and cold.

I am not excited for her to be leader. Shellpaw thought darkly, scowling at the calico's tail as she led the way. Gorgefall walked beside her while Littlewish flanked the patrol.

Once the patrol neared the SkyClan border, Maplefern halted. She turned around to face Shellpaw and Littlewish.

"Gorgefall and Littlewish, you two wouldn't mind to go hunt near the lake, right?" The question sounded more like a command, leaving no room for opposition. "As deputy, I'd like to see how Shellpaw is progressing," the calico added when Littlewish opened her jaws, presumably to ask why she wasn't with her apprentice.

StarClan, help me. I'm stuck with the bossiest cat ever. Shellpaw closed his eyes, bracing himself.

Gorgefall flicked his tail as he turned to leave, beckoning Littlewish to follow. Once the two warriors left, Maplefern's eyes met Shellpaw's.

"Where do you want to hunt?" Shellpaw flicked his ears, surprised. She was letting him make the choice?

"I don't... know? Are you sure I should choose-" he blinked and Maplefern was already on her paws.

"You don't have to choose." Maplefern let him think for a second before turning around, briskly whisking her tail. "Come along, then."

Shellpaw had to trot to keep up with her long strides. She didn't glance at him as she led the way, muttering to herself. Shellpaw swore he heard her complaining about how she let an incompetent apprentice decide.

I'm not helpless! Shellpaw whined to himself.

"Here we are. The juncture where ThunderClan, SkyClan, and ShadowClan meet up." Maplefern stated proudly as if she was telling him new information. "Do you scent anything?"

Shellpaw tried to shove his annoyance down, but he felt his eye twitch. Littlewish didn't need to ask him that question anymore.

It took him a split second to detect a squirrel. "Squirrel," he deadpanned.

"Good." Maplefern didn't sound like she was praising him. "Which way?"

How young do I seem? I'm nearly a warrior. Shellpaw gritted his teeth. Silently, he pointed his tail opposite of the border.

Maplefern nodded. "Now go catch it. Come back here once you have."

I would already have it if we weren't checking my scenting skills. Shellpaw turned away, carrying out her orders. Once he was out of her view, he began flicking his tail-tip angrily as he tried to pinpoint where the squirrel was.

The squirrel's scent led him to a large pine tree. The squirrel was thankfully on the ground, nibbling away at an acorn. Settling into a crouch, Shellpaw crept forward, letting his hunting instincts take over.

Everything was going smoothly. He was close enough to pounce until a bloodcurdling screech filled the air. The squirrel looked up from its acorn and fled up the tree without a glance backwards.

It sounded like Maplefern. His blood ran cold as he raced back, stopping when he smelled an unfamiliar cat. He stayed within the confines of the trees, spotting a black-furred cat bent over Maplefern's thrashing body, teeth locked firmly in her throat.

His heart leapt into his throat. There was so much blood... he was certain he was going to faint.

Without thinking, he stepped out of the trees. "Who are you?"

The black-furred cat looked up, looking at him directly in the eye. Almost in a panicked manner, the cat stepped away from the body, until they processed his words. He didn't know who they were...

Shellpaw tried to remember this cat from Gatherings. Their scent mingled with SkyClan's and ThunderClan's, so he failed to distinguish which Clan they came from.

When the cat took a step forward, he took a step backward, fur spiking. "W-Who are you?" he cried out, spooked.

The cat's face twisted into a snarl, crouching down, and Shellpaw didn't a heartbeat to wait for the coming leap. He turned tail, fleeing.

---

-artemis