✰ 27: akya and ahsoka

[some months later.]

Akya and Master Kenobi poured over holo-maps with Commander Cody by their side, trying to figure out the best way inside a Separatist droid factory.  The factory, though functional, was a cover for a large scale prison where innocent civilians of Alderaan were being held after getting caught up in a Separatist blockade.  They weren't releasing the citizens on any terms, and so, they had turned to what Anakin liked to call "aggressive negotiations."

Anakin and Ahsoka had gone in early with Captain Rex and a few other clones to scope out the area.  Little was known about the factory on this planet, Garion, since it was so far in the Outer Rim.  They had maps and all the entrances, but they knew nothing about what kinds of droids were produced here and how many were inside, so they had to send some people in prematurely so that they could get that information.  It was vital to their success.

"Well, if we enter here, it may not be as heavily guarded," said Akya, pointing to a door on the outside of the factory, near the back.  "It's a maintenance entrance."

"Yes, but it's too far from the entrance to the prisons for it to do any good," said Obi-Wan. "If it's like we suspect, and we're outnumbered, then we'll have fight our way through anyway."

"I see."

Suddenly, a clone from the 212th barged into the tent, one Akya knew to be called Cable. "Sir," he said, in quite the panic, addressing Master Kenobi. "General Skywalker and Commander Tano are back. The General's hurt. Badly."

"Thank you, Cable," said Obi-Wan, turning off the maps and rushing out off the tent. Akya and Cody followed him closely behind. They met the other two Jedi and their group of five clones just on the outskirts of the camp. Ahsoka and Rex had Anakin draped across their shoulders, and they looked like they had been carrying him a long way. They couldn't take speeders to the facility— it was too risky. They'd walked all the way there, and now, back.

Akya and Obi-Wan rushed over and took Anakin from Rex and Ahsoka. He was awake, but he was bleeding badly. There was a large cut on the side of his chest, as well as bruising. "Tell Kix," Obi-Wan told Cable, walking Anakin over to the medical tent. Cable nodded and ran over.

"How did this happen?" Obi-Wan asked Ahsoka, who was standing right beside him.

"It was one of those assassin droids," Ahsoka explained, still mostly out of breath.  "It must have been coming for me, because I heard him yell, 'watch out,' and turned to find him jumping in front of it.  He was a minute too late.  The droid had one of those electrical staffs, with the spear at the end.  He ran it right through him."

Akya thought of these circumstances.  The droid, the same kind that had come for her, had come to meet them a second time. Akya remembered glowing purple eyes and a tall frame. She shuddered at the thought of the droid standing over her, haunting her thoughts ever since that night.

They helped Anakin onto a cot and Kix immediately began working, along with the help of a couple other medic clones and droids. "He needs space," Kix said, as a clone rolled over a tray full of devices used to assess the internal damage. A droid began scanning him, and Kix examined the gash on the side of his torso, lifting Anakin's arm to rest over his head.

"We'll go," said Obi-Wan. He put his arm around Akya's shoulder and walked her out. She didn't turn her head away from Anakin until she couldn't see him anymore, and the doors to the medical tent were closed.

"It's my fault," she said, finally turning to her Master.

"What?" he said. "Akya, you weren't even there."

"They thought you were me," she said, turning to Ahsoka.  "They wouldn't have sent the assassin droids otherwise.  We're of similar heights.  It was dark.  It makes sense."

"Akya—"

"They wanted me." She turned to her Master. "This is my fault."

"I think you need to rest," said Obi-Wan.  "It's late.  Ahsoka, go with her.   Try and get some shut-eye."

"Yes, Master," said Ahsoka.  She and Akya walked to their sleeping tent.  Akya was silent as the both of them got into their sleeping bags, the heated blankets shielding them from the chilly night. Both of them simply stared up at the ceiling. 

"Ahsoka?"

"Yes?"

Akya sighed.  "I'm sorry," she said.

"Sorry for what?  Akya, this wasn't your fault.  You didn't do anything."

Akya shook her head, still staring up at the ceiling.  It was windy outside, and the trees above them created shadows on the ceiling of the tent, the foliage dancing in the moons' light. "I wish I could have been there," she said.

"The same thing would have happened if you were," Ahsoka said.  "He would have saved you just like he saved me.  He's like that.  And trust me, Akya, he's going to live.  A little scratch like this isn't going to hurt him."

Akya knew this. She knew all of this.  Anakin was definitely going to be okay, and there was nothing Akya could have done to stop this happening. 

"You care for him," Ahsoka said.  "A lot."  She didn't seem to be accusing... more like observing.  Trying to change the subject.

"Probably too much," Akya chuckled, almost to herself. 

"I don't think it's too much," she said.  "I think it's nice that you two are such good friends."

"You don't think we're too..." Akya waited to say it. "...attatched?"

"No," said Ahsoka.  "You care for one another.  That's all."

Akya sighed.  "Anakin's a good teacher," she said.

"I know."

Akya wanted to keep talking with her.  It was nice, this conversation, just girl-to-girl.  Padawan-to-Padawan. "Ahsoka, have you ever thought about... about what you would be doing if you weren't a Jedi?  I mean, if you were never found by the Order. If you couldn't use the Force."

Ahsoka sighed in thought.  It seemed she'd never been asked the question before.  "I suppose I never thought about it," she said. "My parents were farmers," she said. "They lived simple lives.  I assume I'd be living with them."

"I don't know what I'd be doing," said Akya.  "I'd still be stuck on Tatooine, I think.  But I don't know where my life would have gone by now.  The Jedi Order saved me from that life."

"I think you'd be doing good," said Ahsoka.  "That's a part of you.  I don't think anything bad would happen."

"Maybe," said Akya.

"I like talking with you," said Ahsoka.  "It's nice to have someone to talk about these things with.  Stuff I couldn't talk about with Anakin."

"You're a good friend, Ahsoka," said Akya, smiling.  She finally looked at the Togruta for the first time since they'd come into the tent.

Ahsoka smiled back at her.

a.n.:

little ahsoka and akya moment.  they're so girlbesties. 

it's leap day omg!!! I love leap days. 

don't forget to vote!! ily ♡

molly