Chapter 6 - Injection

Jard raised an eyebrow in sususpiton of what Defect just said. ''An infection? What are you talking about?''

Bobo sat up, hands in between his legs, acting like a curious child. All of a sudden, there was a crash outside, Defect got up from his chair to open the curtains of the nearby window and opened it. Outside he saw a troubled Trooper smashing what looked like a glass bottle onto an Octomao's head. Then stabbing it in its chest, finally, the creature slashed his arm, ripping through the metal and fabric material of his armor.

''Agh!'' Trooper would back away from the creature, watching it run off into the forest. Defect would open the front door to the wooden cabin.

''Hey! Over here! Get in!'' Defect yelled out, catching the Trooper's attention and leading him inside.

''Incoming!'' He'd run into the cabin, meeting eyes with whom he was overprotective of, Bobo, and of course his friend Jard.

''Trooper!'' Bobo jumps out of his seat, welcoming Trooper to the cabin.

''Hey Bobo..''

''Trooper? How'd you get here?'' Jard asked.

''Well, I was called by Galf to accompany you both during your mission, but I arrived late, and couldn't come in time. I ended up meeting one of those creatures...'' Trooper looked at the gushing blood coming from Jard's sweater. ''Whom I assumed is what caused your injury, Jard.''

''Oh, yeah. Is your arm okay?'' He asked.

Defect inspected his arm, which was now gushing with blood, showing his skin through the material of his armor. ''It's not that deep, your going to be fine.'' Defect assured him. ''Would you like some bandages for it? You as well, Jard?''

''I already have bandages, but more would probably stop the blood from soaking through.. so yes.'' Jard said. Trooper agreed he needed some bandages for his injury, as well.

--

Trooper took his mask off while wrapping thin bandages around his left arm. Trooper and Bobo were yapping about something unimportant while Trooper finished up his bandages. Bobo sat on the floor.

Defect noticed Jard began to look unwell, and saw him soon walking up the spiral staircase. Defect Followed him as Trooper and Bobo continued talking. As he made it to the top of the staircase, entering the second floor of the cabin, he saw Jard leaned over on the floor, covering his face.

''Jard..?'' Defect walked over to him and put his hand on his shoulder. ''..You okay?'' He asked him.

''I-I'm not gonna last for tomorrow, y-you know, what are you talking about, Infection?..'' Black ink dripped from his mouth. He crossed his arms, still sitting on the floor.

Defect let his hand off him. Resisting to not pull out something from his pocket. ''I've been doing some studying on the Octomaos recently, and I've come across a few people who haven't made it long after getting a wound like yours.''

''So your telling me I'm gonna die tonight?'' Jard stood up.

''Well.. I do have a substance that could help, but I've never tested it. I'm not one-hundred percent sure it will work, but it's worth giving it a try.'' He explained. Jard looked at him with meaningful eyes.

''I'm willing to do it. I'd rather that than die.''

Defect looked at the black substance coming from Jard's mouth. He passed him a tissue. ''I can tell the infection is starting to kick in, come, downstairs.''

Jard took the tissue and wiped the droopy black ink- or whatever it was off his face. He followed Defect downstairs.

Bobo saw Defect opening the front door and letting Jard outside. ''Where are you going?'' He asked.

''You both okay?'' Trooper asked.

''Yeah, we're just going outside for a second.'' Defect said.

''Can I come!?''

''No Bobo, you stay inside. Both of you get some rest, it's nearly nine pm.'' Defect told them.

Jard stepped outside into the cold area surrounded by forest. ''So, what exactly are you going to do?'' He asked.

''Sorry about this, Jard.'' A sudden hit with his fist caused Jard to fall onto the dirty grass. Jard held his head up.

''W-What are you doing?!'' Jard yelled at him. Defect hit his leg, burying his foot on his head, and kneeled down next to him.

''This might hurt.'' He took a needle which had a black substance in it and tried stabbing him in the stomach, but Jard's hand held his arm up. ''Jard, move your hand.'' Defect stared at him with a serious tone as he aggressively threw his arm over his and injected the needle into his arm.

He fell silent. Jard's head collapsed onto the ground. Black ink began to spread onto the arm of his hoodie.

Defect stood up and walked back inside.

(774 words)