Chapter 20: The Last Day

Ava's sitting in her living room with Elena next to her

Ava's sitting in her living room with Elena next to her. Elijah says, "Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Ava says, "Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." Elijah says, "Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it... he'll be a true hybrid." Damon walks in and says, "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie." Ava says, "Damon..." Elena says, "No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Damon says, "I'll write her a great eulogy." Ava says, "It's not an option, Damon. Alright, how do we break this curse?" Elijah says, "Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak you already know." Ava says, "The moon stone." Elijah says, "A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire will sacrifice one of each." Elena says, "And where do I fit into it?" Elijah says, "The final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger... to the point of your death." Ava grabs ahold of Elena's hand squeezing it. Elena says, "And that's where you come in." Elijah opens a box and says, "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation." Elena says, "So I'll be dead..." Elijah says, "And then you won't." Damon says, "That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come to life, what... What about John's ring?" Elijah says, "Those rings only work on humans. The doppelganger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are... the ring won't work." Damon says, "I'll take those odds over elixir. What if it doesn't work, Elena?" Elena says, "Then I guess I'll just be dead." Damon widens his eyes and says, "Wha..." Damon looks over at Ava and Ava softly says, "It's her choice." Damon rolls his eyes and walks out of the room. Elena sighs. Elena says, "Do we know if Klaus has everything, he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?" Elijah says, "Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf my guess is by tonight, he will." Later, Ava walks outside to find Damon drinking bourbon and she says, "Breakfast of champions, huh?" Damon says, "I'm surrounded by idiots. I need all the help I can get." Ava says, "You know, you're not helping." Damon says, "Elijah is an original vampire, Ava. One we tried to kill. You're gonna believe this guy?" Ava says, "What do you want me to do, Damon? Elena made her decision. She's choosing to trust Elijah. I'm gonna put my faith in her." Damon says, "Why? She's gonna end up dead." Ava says, "Because she put her faith in me. She chose to trust me in spite of what I am. If I'm gonna bet on somebody's instincts, it's gonna be hers." Damon says, "Well, then, that makes you the biggest idiot of them all." Ava says, "She chose to trust you too." Damon says, "Then maybe you shouldn't be so sure about her instincts." Damon downs his drink and walks away as Ava sighs. Ava then hears Jenna yell, "Get out." Ava speeds into the house to see Jenna pointing a crossbow at Alaric. Alaric says, "Jenna, put the crossbow down, it's me." Jenna says, "Stay away from me." Elena walks over and stands by Ava, as she says, "What's going on?" Alaric looks at Elena and says, "It's me, Elena, I swear, okay? He let me go. Klaus let me go." Damon walks over and says, "Prove it." Alaric says, "Okay, uh, first night you and I spent together Jeremy walked in right when--" Jenna cuts him off and says, "Okay, it's him." Jenna puts down the crossbow as Ava says, "Why did he let you go?" Alaric says, "He wanted me to deliver a message. The sacrifice happens tonight." Later, Ava speeds into Damon's room ripping Damon away from Elena. Damon gets tosses to the ground with a grunt. Ava angrily says, "What the hell do did you do?" Ava crouches down next to Elena, who has blood around her mouth. Damon says, "I saved her life. You're so hell bent on dying, at least this way I know you'll come back." Ava says, "As a vampire! She'll come back a vampire." Damon says, "It's better than nothing else." Ava angrily says, "How could you, of all people, take that choice away from her?" Elena glares daggers at Damon and Damon says, "Go ahead, wish me an eternity of misery. Believe me, you'll get over it." Ava glares at Damon and speeds over to Damon flipping him over a desk. Elena cries, "Ava!" Damon speeds over to Ava with a piece of wood up against her throat as he says, "Admit it. You just wish you had the balls to do it yourself." Ava growls and shoves the wood off her and throws a punch at Damon. Ava just keeps hitting Damon until Damon falls to the ground. As Ava goes to hit Damon once more, Damon stabs the piece of wood through Ava's stomach. Elena cries, "Damon, no!" Ava falls to her knees as Elena says, "No." Elena glares at Damon and says, "Go on. Get out of here!" Alaric and Jenna walk in and Alaric says, "What the hell's going on?" Elena says, "Just get him out of here!" Jenna widens her eyes at Ava and says, "Oh, my God." As Alaric goes to grab Damon, Damon pushes him away. Damon walks away. Ava's in pain as she grabs the wooden piece pulling it out. Alaric looks at Jenna and says, "Okay, Jenna, downstairs in the basement are some blood bags. Go get them, now. Go!" Jenna rushes away. Elena says, "Here, let me help you." Elena grabs the wood and pulls it out of Ava, as Ava screams in pain. Ava jolts forward, but Elena catches Ava and lays her in her lap. Elena says, "It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. You're gonna be okay." Ava grunts, "I'm so sorry." Elena says, "Shh-h. It's okay." Ava weakly says, "I'm sorry." Later, Ava's in her room finished drinking a few blood bags to help with her strength. Ava's topless with her bra on since her shirt is ruined. Ava looks at Jenna and Alaric and says, "Thank you. Both of you." Alaric says, "Yeah, well, we'll be downstairs." Ava wipes the blood off her chest as Elena says, "How could he do that to me? Why?" Ava caresses Elena's cheek and softly says, "Hey. We've never talked about this. What this all means." Elena softly says, "It doesn't matter." Ava says, "Of course it matters. Hey. It matters. I want you to go somewhere with me." Elena says, "Ava, I can't." Ava says, "It's not far, okay? It's just for the day. I promise." Elena nods and softly says, "Okay."