Chapter 21: The Sun Also Rises

Ava's walking in the woods with Elijah and Alaric. Elijah says, "The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets. First the werewolf is killed, then the vampire finally, the doppelganger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become a hybrid." Ava says, "So, when do we attack?" Elijah says, "Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side. He'll be vulnerable during the transformation. That's when Bonnie comes in." Ava says, "And you're sure Bonnie will survive this?" Elijah says, "If she can deliver him to the brink of death I'll finish the job myself." Ava's phone rings and answers it and Ava says, "Damon." Damon says, "You're not gonna like what I'm about to say." Ava says, "Cut to the chase. Is the sacrifice happening or not?" Damon says, "It's happening. I tried to stop it, but it got... complicated." Ava says, "We're sticking with the original plan. We're meeting Bonnie right now." Damon says, "He's got Jenna, Ava." Ava's stomach drops and she says, "What?" Damon says, "He got Katherine to lure her out of the house." Ava looks at Alaric worriedly and Alaric says, "What is it? What's wrong?" Damon says, "He's going to use her as the vampire in the ritual." Ava widens her eyes as she says, "Oh, my God!" Later, they're outside the witch's house with Bonnie as she says, "Why would he take Jenna?" Elijah says, "A punishment for meddling." Ava says, "Klaus was gonna use Tyler and Caroline. Damon rescued them." Bonnie says, "Then we need to go. Now... before Jenna's been sacrificed. I can kill Klaus myself." Ava says, "Bonnie. If you use that much power, you'll be dead. We've already been through this. It's not an option." Bonnie says, "Neither is letting Jenna die." Elijah says, "Ava would agree with you." Ava says, "We're gonna offer another vampire... one that he'll want more. Me." Later, Ava's outside alone when Elijah walks up to her and says, "Bonnie did the locator spell. They're at Steven's quarry." Ava says, "I'll head over there first, and you'll follow with Bonnie when it's time." Elijah says, "Just as the moon hits its final phase. She's to stay hidden until then. He cannot know that she's alive." Ava nods and as she's walking away, Elijah says, "You're very honorable." Ava stops and says, "Are you? Because this whole plan is, um... it's contingent upon your honor, Elijah." Elijah says, "I won't fail you." Ava says, "Klaus is your brother. I know, I've... wanted to kill my brother a thousand times I've... never been able to." Elijah says, "Well, Klaus was not my only brother. I had siblings, parents. I had a, a family. Over the centuries, Klaus hunted them down one by one and he took them from me. He scattered them across the seas where their bodies could not be found." Ava says, "You want revenge." Elijah says, "Sometimes there's honor in revenge, Ava. I won't fail you." Ava says, "Please end this." Ava walks away. Later, Ava arrives at the quarry when Klaus doesn't look up as he senses Ava and says, "Well, well...I don't recall you being on the guest list." Elena and Jenna both gasp when they see Ava. Ava says, "I'm here to talk." Klaus looks over at Ava as he says, "Very well then." Klaus speeds over to Ava with a stake and says, "What can I do for you, Ms. Salvatore?" Ava says, "You don't need to kill Jenna. I'll take her place." Klaus says, "Really, you'd sacrifice your life?" Ava nods and says, "Yeah, I would for the people I love. I would do anything. You'll get what you want either way." Klaus says, "You're quite the hero, aren't you? Yeah, I've heard that about you." Ava says, "Just make the trade. Me for Jenna." Klaus simply smirks. Then Ava and Klaus walk over to the girls as Klaus says, "Quite the predicament. You know, it's funny, all this talk about preserving family and here's Ava... granting your wish." Elena has tears in her eyes as she softly says, "Ava..." Ava softly smiles and says, "It's okay." Klaus says, "Well... who's it gonna be, Elena?" Elena cries, "No!" Klaus says, "Oh, don't worry. There's actually no choice." Klaus then speeds behind Ava and stabs her in the back with the stake. Ava groans as Elena cries, "No! Ava!" Ava groans falling to her knees. Klaus says, "I have other plans for your girlfriend. I want her alive. But for now..." Klaus then snaps Ava's neck as Ava falls limp on the ground dead. Later, Ava groans awake, and she sees a sobbing Elena and she looks around for Jenna but finds her dead and she says, "No." Ava looks back over at Elena with tears in her eyes and says, "I'm so sorry." Elena puts her finger on her lip as she whispers, "Shh... Are they gonna kill them?" Ava nods and whispers, "Yes." Klaus looks at Elena and says, "It's time." Klaus holds out his hand and Elena stands up walking past Klaus. Elena walks over to the witch as Klaus grabs Elena's face and brings it towards him. Klaus softly says, "Thank you, Elena." Elena angrily says, "Go to hell." Then Klaus bites into Elena's neck as Ava cries, "No!" Once Klaus is done, Elena's body drops as tears flow down Ava's face. Elena looks dead and Ava sniffs. Klaus says, "I can feel it. It's happening." Klaus starts groaning as he says, "Yes, yes!" As Klaus transformation finishes, Klaus gets tossed away and Ava looks over to see Bonnie doing a spell. Damon snaps the witches neck as Damon lifts Elena into his arms carrying her away. Klaus is screaming in pain as he angrily yells, "No! You were dead!" Bonnie continues to chant as Klaus is screaming. Damon carries Elena over to Ava and lays her down next to her. Ava worriedly says, "Elena." Damon walks over to Ava and pulls the stake out of her back as Ava grunts. Ava looks at Damon and says, "I need you to get her out of here!" Damon says, "What about you?" Ava looks back at Klaus and says, "I'm not leaving until he's dead. Go!" Damon grabs Elena and lifts her back into his arms and speeds away. Ava watches as Elijah walks over to Klaus. Klaus says, "Elijah?" Elijah says, "Hello, brother." Ava walks over and stands next to Bonnie. Elijah shoves his hand into Klaus as Klaus groans. Elijah says, "In the name of our family Niklaus..." Klaus says, "I didn't bury them at sea!" Elijah says, "What?" Klaus says, "Their bodies are safe. If you kill me, you'll never find them." Ava says, "Elijah! Don't listen to him. " Klaus says, "Elijah. I can take you to them. I give you my word... brother." Bonnie says, "Do it and I'll take you both out." Elijah looks at Bonnie and says, "You'll die." Bonnie says, "I don't care." Elijah says, "I'm sorry." Ava and Bonnie both yell, "No!" Elijah and Klaus both disappear into the night.

" Ava and Bonnie both yell, "No!" Elijah and Klaus both disappear into the night

The next day, Ava's at the Gilbert Residence for Jenna and John's funeral

The next day, Ava's at the Gilbert Residence for Jenna and John's funeral. Damon walks up to Ava as Ava says, "We all set?" Damon says, "Yeah. Plenty of room with the Gilbert family plot and I compelled two of the gravediggers to the dirty work. How's she doing?" Ava says, "She lost the only parent she had. She's in shock." Later, everyone's at Jenna and John's funeral. Elena places a single rose on Jenna's grave as well as John's grave. Elena then places two roses on her parents grave. Alaric places a rose on Jenna's grave. Damon walks away and Ava follows after Damon and says, "We're gonna head back to the house." Damon says, "I think I'll skip the coffee and tea cakes." Ava says, "Damon, she needs us right now... all of us." Damon says, "And then what's the plan, Ava? The curse is broken. How does one go about killing an all-powerful wolf vamp... and his two-faced older brother?" Ava says, "I have no idea." Damon looks at Ava and says, "We need to get an idea, fast." Ava says, "I'm not going to let Elena lose anybody else." Damon says, "I wouldn't make any promises, sister." Ava says, "What's that supposed to mean?" Damon says, "Tyler Lockwood bit me." Damon pulls up his sleeve and Ava widens her eyes at the bite. Damon says, "It's actually more of nip, really but... there it is." Ava grabs Damon's arm and tears well up in her eyes at the thought of losing her brother. Ava softly says, "Well find something. Yeah. A cure." Damon says, "There's no cure, Ava." Ava says, "We kept Elena human, right? We found the way when there was no way. Hey. I will do this." Damon says, "You wanna do something for me? Keep this from Elena. The last thing she needs is another grave to mourn." Damon pats Ava's arm and walks away as a single tear rolls down Ava's face.