6. Playtime

-Jack-

-Jack-

I thought it would be nearly impossible to relax and focus on watching movies. I believed we all would be too scared to let our guard down. We were so far away from Blue Moon territory, from our army and all the protective spells and wards, so of course we'd be too tense and anxious to just sit around and watch TV. The thought of Adam and his army would surely keep us on high alert.

Nah.

None of us was able to focus on movies, that part I did get right, but only because no one could stay awake.

I forced an eyelid open just enough to glance around the living room. I heard Natalie quietly speaking on the phone somewhere in her bedroom, but Ben was the only one in our group who was awake and still watching the movie. Everyone else was curled under their blankets. Tilly seemed very comfortable in her very uncomfortable position on the armchair, her feet resting on Ben's armrest. Jaden was in the corner of the couch with Oliver sleeping in his arms. And Arch...

I smiled at him, even though he was fast asleep. He'd made himself comfortable on the couch, using my lap as his pillow, his legs stretched out on Oliver's. I carefully touched his overgrown hair. It felt a little rough, but smooth under my touch. His mohawk was out of control, and the sides had grown quite long already. With a little bit of tidying up, his hair would look great again. Not that there was something wrong with his hair now... Or with him.

And suddenly, my thoughts took me down a path I wasn't sure I wanted to walk... A question I shouldn't have appeared: what it would've been like if my old man had accepted Blue Moon's offer to join their pack? I could almost picture it... I could've been friends with these people all along. Maybe Arch and I would've ended together years ago. Maybe he could've felt the connection with me... Maybe I never would've had to endure all that pain and horror in Henry's hands.

Maybe this war never would've happened.

I shook myself a little, pushing those thoughts out of my head. I was here now. My pack was now part of Blue Moons, safe from fear and possession. These people were my friends now. And Arch... He had feelings for me, even without the bond. And I was free, my strength growing.

I was doing what my father should've done all those years ago. I was fixing his horrible mistakes.

I was taking back the life I should've had.

Arch moved a little on my lap, and my smile returned. This... This was the life I should've had, and somehow, I was still alive to enjoy it. I'd died twice already, but I was still here.

And I was going to enjoy the hell out of this slumber party.

"You know..." I muttered, and Ben turned to me. "I hope Adam knows we're just relaxing and watching movies right now."

Ben laughed shortly. "That would really piss him off for sure."

I turned to take a better look at the peacekeeper. It was still odd to see him as one. I'd run into the guy at school almost every single day. He was supposed to be just a random classmate, not the closest thing to a freaking angel.