7. Visit

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I really, really needed the rest. For several days, we just watched movies, made small walks around the forest, ate, and slept. I was feeling better and stronger with each passing day, although I still suffered from small sickness attacks. I had no other way to describe those moments when I suddenly started coughing, my strength fading until I felt like I was going to pass out. Those moments would stop as suddenly as they started, and there didn't seem to be a clear trigger for them. They could happen right in the middle of the night or while we were walking in the forest.

People kept trying to reassure me they'd find a way to fix me, but I knew there was no fixing my soul without my second part, and even then, I had no idea how we could put us back together. Even the gods were perplexed by my condition. Hades, the king of the dead, couldn't give me any answers.

But I didn't want to think about that. We'd cross that bridge once we got there.

One morning, I woke up before everyone else. I'd slept surprisingly well that night, and only woke up to cough my lungs out twice. Even the pain seemed to have faded a little, so I was already in a good mood and feeling energetic.

Too bad everyone else was still fast asleep... It couldn't be more than six in the morning. Arch and Jack were sharing the sofa-bed by the window, and we'd somehow managed to fit one more large bed for Tilly and Ben in my room. It was a little awkward to get around the three beds and my desk and TV stand, but since none of us had felt comfortable sleeping in the living room, away from the group, no one was complaining about the lack of space. My room was only for sleeping and watching TV in bed, anyway.

The irony... I'd dreamed of my own room and privacy when I was sharing the room with several other kids at the group home, and now I had my very own bedroom and there were still five other kids with me. And on top of that, I couldn't sleep alone.

And I wasn't going to sleep alone ever again, no matter what our future held for us. I wasn't even going to have the bed all for myself again... And that brought a smile to my face, and it only grew when I peered at Jaden, who I was using as my pillow. His lips were slightly parted as he took in deep, calm breaths, and his long lashes twitched a little every now and then as he dreamed. I suddenly wasn't in a hurry to get out of bed. I was very much fine with watching his sleep.

It was easy to forget the danger we were in while I stayed under the warm covers and listened to my mate's heartbeat, and the steady breathing in the room. It was so peaceful... It was easy to pretend we were just normal kids.

I wished so hard we could be just normal kids... But I didn't let that thought bring me down. I refused... We would kick Adam out of our world and things would get back to normal. This world would get back to normal. I'd see to it myself. Like I had any other choice... Not as the one Adam had handpicked as his mortal enemy.