norm spellman

Norm Spellman is a anthropologist as well as an . It is currently unknown whether or not he had his into his avatar body, like , his friend and ally.
Early life

Norm was born and raised on and trained as a scientist. Aside from this, nothing is known of his life before he joined the. Before his first assignment on , he claimed to have studied the for five years, and had logged 520 hours of simulation time in preparation for linking with his avatar.

Norm, being a friend of the late , immediately introduced himself to , Tom's brother. Though they later became close friends, Norm originally was somewhat envious of Jake, who, after becoming lost in the forest, was adopted by the of the . Enjoying the contact this tutelage brought with the clan, Norm put aside his jealousy and acted as Jake's tutor (along with and ) in the Na'vi culture.

the destruction of hometree

Norm watched the scene from the main link center in . When ordered the cutting of Jake and Grace's links, he tried in vain to stop security from doing so, only to get himself imprisoned along with Jake and Grace in the station brig where they were rescued by and .

The team flew to the to pick up one of the two containers. In his avatar form, Norm helped tie the container to Trudy's and was supervising the transport to the from on of the structure while Jake and Grace were inside.

Norm, fighting with the Na'vi

In the final battle for Pandora, Norm fought alongside Jake and the Na'vi against the . Whilst Jake led the air assault, Norm rode alongside the Na'vi cavalry, even killing a few RDA troopers. As the unarmored Na'vi were cut down by the RDA troops, his avatar was shot in the left shoulder, causing the neural link to be severed. Back in his undamaged human body, suffering from shock but determined to help, he recovered enough to arm himself with a rifle and don an to rejoin the fray. When the RDA was driven from Pandora following the battle, he was one of the few humans allowed to stay.

Personality and traits

As a scientist, Norm was fascinated by Pandora and its environment. He was friendly and got along with most people. He was a friend of Jake Sully's deceased twin brother, Tom, and also befriended Jake. However, due to Jake's ignorance of Pandora and its inhabitants, Norm sometimes thought of him as a "Skxawng" (moron). Norm was initially envious of Jake after the latter's acceptance into the Omaticaya clan, but when he helped Jake learn the Na'vi way of life, their friendship solidified and he got over his envy.

When they first arrived on Pandora, Norm possessed a considerably greater knowledge of the moon and its inhabitants than Jake. Having been through avatar training for five years, he was skilled at speaking the Na'vi language, although his use of the language was rather formal. He was also incredulous when Jake asked who was.

Though Norm usually has a friendly and non-threatening personality, he did attempt - unsuccessfully - to violently stop a soldier who tried to sever the link to Jake's avatar following the destruction of the Hometree. Later, he fought against the RDA along with Jake and the Na'vi, and even though his avatar was shot down, he was determined to keep fighting in his human form.

Abilities

During the assault on the Tree of Souls, Norm wielded a rifle, although it is unknown how skilled he was at using military weaponry. He also appeared to be skilled at riding a .

Norm had commendable knowledge of the Na'vi language and his knowledge with both Grace and Jake.

RelationshipsJake Sully

When Norm first met Jake Sully, he noted that he looked just like his brother, Tom, whom Norm had known during his training for the Avatar Program. He and Jake became fast friends, although Norm grew envious after Jake was allowed into the Omaticaya Hometree. He was incredulous when Jake asked who Eywa was. However, as time went on, Norm got over his initial envy and taught Jake more about the Na'vi culture, most notably the true meaning of "". Norm tried to stop from bringing Jake out of his avatar link. At a later date, he even punched an RDA soldier when attempting to do the same thing again on Parker Selfridge's orders. After the destruction of Hometree, he was locked up along with Jake and Grace Augustine.

After they escaped from Hell's Gate, Norm, despite feeling that they stood no chance against the RDA, fought among the Na'vi under Jake's command.

Trudy Chacon

Norm appeared to a mutual liking with Trudy, and talked to her quite regularly during their flights, often joking. Prior to the assault on the Tree of Souls, they both seemed to share the same opinion that they were outmatched by the RDA forces, but remained loyal to Jake and the Na'vi.

Grace Augustine

Norm idolized Grace Augustine and referred to her as a legend. Grace greeted Norm more warmly than Jake, saying that she had heard good things about him and they had a brief conversation in Na'vi. It was Norm (in his avatar form) who carried Grace's avatar body to the Tree of Souls for her , which ultimately failed due to her mortal wound at the hands of Quaritch. Norm was saddened when Grace died.

Tom Sully

Tom Sully, the deceased twin brother of Jake Sully, was also a friend of Norm's, and the two had gone through training for the Avatar program together.

In the original script, Norm was romantically linked to Trudy Chacon. While nothing suggests this in the final, some deleted scenes in the do reveal that at least some of these scenes were; including the two engaging in sexual intercourse up in the (Norm's attitude improves). In the original script, it also stated that Trudy's last words before her death were, "Norm, I love you!".Norm's avatar wore a hat that has "Number 1969" () written on it in Braille. This was only seen during his avatar's first outing, excluding his first link.