Chapter Twelve: Coney Island

The soft morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room as Connor slowly stirred awake. As he blinked away the remnants of sleep, he felt a dull ache radiating from his jaw, a painful reminder of the injury that had sidelined him just days before. He shifted uncomfortably, trying to ignore the discomfort as he glanced around the unfamiliar surroundings.

      It took a moment for the events of the previous night to come flooding back to him: the dinner with Sage, the laughter and conversation, the warmth of her smile as they had walked back to her apartment. He smiled to himself at the memory, feeling a sense of contentment wash over him as he remembered the ease and comfort of being with her.

      But as he tried to sit up, the pain in his jaw intensified, causing him to wince in discomfort. He reached up to gingerly touch the tender area, his heart sinking as he realized that the injury was worse then when he had been clear. He knew that he should be reporting to practice with the team, but the idea of facing his coach and teammates with this level of pain was daunting.

       Just then, his phone buzzed on the nightstand beside him, interrupting his thoughts. He reached for it with a sigh, his heart sinking as he saw the message from his coach."Morning, Connor. How are you feeling today?"

       Connor hesitated for a moment, his thumb hovering over the keyboard as he debated how to respond. He knew that he should be honest with his coach about the pain he was experiencing, but the idea of admitting weakness was hard to swallow.

       Finally, he typed out a response, his fingers moving slowly as he struggled to find the right words."Not great, Coach," he admitted reluctantly. "My jaw is really bothering me this morning. I'm not sure I'll be able to practice today."

      He hit send and waited anxiously for his coach's response, his heart pounding in his chest. He knew that this could have serious consequences for his position on the team, but he also knew that he couldn't push himself to play through the pain.

      A few moments later, his phone buzzed again, signaling a new message from his coach. Connor's heart sank as he read the words on the screen."Understood, Connor. Your health comes first. Take the day off and focus on getting better. We'll reassess your condition tomorrow."

     Connor let out a sigh of relief as he read the message, grateful that his coach was understanding of his situation. But at the same time, he couldn't shake the feeling of disappointment that washed over him. He hated the idea of letting his teammates down, of being sidelined again while they continued to train and prepare for the upcoming games.

      As he lay back against the pillows, he couldn't help but feel a pang of loneliness creeping in. He missed being out on the ice with his teammates, the camaraderie and sense of belonging that came with being part of the team. And yet, he knew that he had to prioritize his health and well-being above all else.

     Just then, the door to the bedroom opened, and Sage stepped inside, a concerned look on her face as she saw Connor lying on the bed.

      "Hey, are you okay?" she asked, her voice soft with worry.Connor forced a smile, trying to downplay the pain he was feeling. "Yeah, just a little sore," he replied, his voice strained. "But nothing I can't handle."

      Sage didn't look convinced, but she didn't press him further. Instead, she crossed the room and sat down beside him on the bed, reaching out to gently stroke his hair.

       "Listen, Connor," she said, her voice gentle but firm. "I know how much hockey means to you, but you need to take care of yourself. Your health is more important than any game or practice. And besides, you have plenty of time to get back out on the ice. Right now, you need to focus on resting and healing."