Chapter Thirteen: Champagne Problems

The soft morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a gentle glow over the room as Sage stirred awake. She blinked sleepily, stretching her limbs as she reached out instinctively for Connor, only to find the bed empty beside her. Confusion clouded her thoughts for a moment before realization set in, and she remembered the events of the previous evening.

They had returned home after the game, defeated and disheartened by their loss. Connor had been silent and withdrawn, his usual easygoing demeanor replaced by a cloud of frustration and disappointment. Sage had tried to comfort him, offering words of reassurance and support, but he had remained distant and aloof, lost in his own thoughts and emotions.

As Sage sat up in bed, a sense of unease gnawed at her insides. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, that Connor's sudden departure in the middle of the night was a sign of deeper turmoil brewing beneath the surface.With a sigh, Sage pushed back the covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed, her bare feet sinking into the soft carpet beneath her. She glanced around the room, her eyes scanning the familiar surroundings for any sign of Connor's presence, but the apartment was eerily quiet and still.

Frowning, Sage rose to her feet and made her way through the apartment, her steps hesitant and uncertain. She called out Connor's name, her voice echoing off the walls, but there was no response. Panic bubbled up inside her chest as she realized that he was nowhere to be found.

As she reached the living room, Sage's eyes fell upon Maelyn, sitting on the couch with a book in her hands. Relief washed over Sage as she approached her roommate, a thousand questions swirling in her mind.

"Maelyn, have you seen Connor?" Sage asked, her voice trembling with worry.

Maelyn looked up from her book, her brow furrowing in concern. "No, I haven't seen him," she replied, her voice soft and gentle. "I thought he was still asleep."

Sage's heart sank at Maelyns words, a cold knot of dread forming in the pit of her stomach. If Connor hadn't been in the apartment all night, then where could he have gone? And why hadn't he told her? Did he go back home? Without saying goodbye?

Frantic thoughts raced through Sage's mind as she tried to make sense of the situation. Had something happened to Connor? Was he hurt or in trouble? She couldn't bear the thought of him out there alone, suffering in silence while she sat here powerless to help him.Without another word, Sage rushed to the door, her heart pounding in her chest as she flung it open and stepped out into the hallway. She glanced up and down the corridor, searching for any sign of Connor's familiar figure, but there was no sign of him.

Desperation clawed at Sage's chest as she realized that she had no idea where to look for him. This can't be happening again. Should she call the police? Contact his family? Every option seemed fraught with uncertainty, and Sage felt a sense of helplessness wash over her as she struggled to come up with a plan.

Just then, her phone buzzed in her pocket, startling her out of her thoughts. With trembling hands, Sage fished it out and glanced at the screen, her heart skipping a beat when she saw Connor's name flashing on the display.

"Connor?" she said, her voice trembling with relief as she answered the call. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

There was a long pause on the other end of the line before Connor's voice finally came through, soft and weary."I'm okay, Sage," he said, his voice heavy with emotion. "I'm just... I needed some time alone to think."

Sage felt a wave of relief wash over her at his words, but the unease in her chest lingered. She knew that something was bothering Connor, something deeper than just the disappointment of losing a game. And she was determined to get to the bottom of it.

"Connor, please come back," Sage pleaded, her voice cracking with emotion. "We can talk about whatever's bothering you. You don't have to go through this alone."

There was another long pause on the line, and Sage held her breath, waiting anxiously for Connor's response. Finally, he spoke, his voice soft but determined.

"I'll come back," he said, his words like a balm to Sage's frayed nerves. "I just need a little more time to clear my head. I'll be home soon, I promise."

With a sigh of relief, Sage ended the call and leaned against the wall, her heart heavy with worry but also filled with determination. She knew that she couldn't force Connor to open up to her, but she would do whatever it took to support him through whatever he was going through.

You booked the night train for a reason
So you could sit there in this hurt

Authors note

Book four will be announced at the end of this book I hope you guys are enjoying this book!!

Love you guys!