Chapter 20 - Procrastination

FREYA

I had gone to bed early that night. Seeing that my dad had changed his number had confirmed my suspicions. He had moved on. He wanted nothing to do with us and he was starting fresh. He had left us with the debt that he had accumulated, leaving us to clean up the mess.

I was struggling to listen in my classes the next day, finding myself staring at the wall as the lecturer babbled on about how important our projects were to our final grade.

I felt awful. Hannah had trusted me to complete my part, and instead of doing so, I had spent the evening in bed staring aimlessly at my sketchpad. Drawing always made me feel better- but it didn't this time.

We were now way behind schedule, and like my father, I was leaving Hannah to pick up the pieces.

"You okay?" Hannah asked me once we walked out of our lecture, turning to me with a frown. "You didn't respond to any of my messages last night. You didn't send over your part of the project."

I gulped. "I know, I'm so sorry. I'm going to do it tonight."

Cocking her head, my friend furrowed her eyebrows. "Freya, are you sure you're okay? You look, and no offense, but like crap."

"I was restless last night. My dad blocked me."

Hannah's mouth fell open, and she gawked at me with raised brows, her big brown eyes wide. "What the fuck! What an asshole."

"Yep," I muttered, shaking my head. I didn't want to think about him. I had wasted so much of my time worrying about him and his well being when actually, he had left us for good. I needed to ask if my mom had received the same treatment.

"Get your part of the project over to me when you can." Hannah sighed. "There's no pressure to do it tonight if you need some alone time."

I smiled sadly at her. She really was a great friend. Giving her a good squeeze, we both made our way out towards the parking lot, but a small gasp left Hannah's lips, and she grabbed me by the bicep tightly.

"Ow," I complained. "What?"

I followed Hannah's gaze to see Zach making his way out of his car, his nose swollen and bruised, one of his eyes half-shut. He hadn't been in our lecture- this being the first time I had seen him since he had barged into Kaleb's house and attacked me.

Spotting me, he narrowed his eyes, walking quickly into the building after slamming his car door a little harder than necessary.

"I thought he had dropped out to be honest," Hannah muttered, ushering me in the direction of my car, gesturing for me to unlock the door with my keys so we could both jump in.

My body was stiff at the thought of Zach. I didn't like the idea of having him join our lectures again, but that was what I was going to have to live with if I didn't want to involve the police.

My guess was that he was probably coming in for a meeting regarding why he hadn't been coming to lectures recently, and I was just praying that he was going to leave my name out of it. The last thing I needed was to be called into the office to discuss my differences with Zach.

Dropping Hannah home, promising I would get my half of the project done as quickly as possible, I sped home to Jackie and Kaleb's house. I hadn't seen him this morning- my guess being that he was either still asleep or had gone to the shooting range with Brent.

I really hoped they hadn't. Will was obviously suspicious, and after finding out he was responsible for more than one murderer, I felt uncomfortable even just thinking about him.