The Sorting

The students are crowded around their respective tables in the Great Hall, waiting for the first years to come in and be sorted. Celeste wondered last year, why the first years didn't come straight in like she did in her first year.

Cedric, her only friend at the time who hadn't been scolded by McGonagall for capsizing a boat, explained that first years were usually given a speech about the different houses and behavioral expectations. Celeste and her friends must not have gotten the speech because they were too busy being scolded.

"'Told Ron the sorting was brutal," Fred whispers to Celeste with a smirk.

The blonde gasps and smirks back at him. "What did you say happened?"

"We had to wrestle a troll. I was lucky not to end up in the infirmary. Lee was bedridden for two days."

Lee, who is sitting on the other side of the redhead, smacks him with some sort of catalog he'd been reading.

Fred laughs. "What about you, Celeste?"

"Yeah, did you tell Draco anything?" George joins the conversation.

"No, just let him wonder," Celeste smirks like it's some devious plan when, in reality, she just tries to avoid all conversation with her little brother. He has a talent for using anything she says to get her in trouble.

"You evil woman," George and Fred say at the same time, admiring her genius.

Just then, the double doors of the Great Hall open up and reveal the first years, all lined up. Celeste sees Harry, looking up in awe of his surroundings. He's in front of Ron, who looks less mind-blown, having grown up in a magic household.

She also sees an almost familiar-looking young girl. A girl with brown skin and bushy brown hair. It can't be... Can it?

Professor McGonagall places a stool in front of the first years and sets the Sorting Hat on top of it. And the hat begins to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can top them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Celeste applauds with the rest of the Great Hall. This song is different from last year's. She supposes that the Sorting Hat must have a lot of time to think up a new song every year. He must be so bored, otherwise.

The sorting begins and Celeste watches intently, wanting confirmation on who the girl is. Also to see where Harry and Ron end up. She already knows Draco will be in Slytherin, there's no use in wondering.

The blonde girl squeals when she hears McGonagall call out "Granger, Hermione!"

"What's that about?" Fred asks her.