Detention

George, Harry, and Fred are out at quidditch practice. Ron and Hermione are inside the Gryffindor common room playing Wizards' Chess, the only thing the girl ever loses at. Celeste is narrating their game, something that annoys Ron to no end.

"The Queen picks up her throne, absolutely destroying Ron's knight! This may be the only win Hermione will get today! It looks sure, but can she do it?"

Ron shushes the older girl in annoyance. She reaches over and ruffles his red hair in return, earning a glare.

At that moment, Harry arrives back from practice and sits down next to Ron with an awful look on his face.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," the redhead says. "I need to concen–" Celeste uses her hand to turn the boy's head to look at Harry.

"What's the matter with you? You look terrible," Ron comments, finally noticing his friend's expression. The blonde lets go of his head.

Harry quietly explains Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," says Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," says Ron.

"Flee the country," says Celeste.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggests.

"Really break your leg," says Ron.

"Break Snape's leg," advises Celeste. The other three look at her like they're not sure if she's joking or not. She's not sure either.

"I can't," says Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

"I still say that breaking Snape's leg is a good solution."

No one has time to respond to her comment as Neville Longbottom topples into the common room. It's a mystery how the boy was even able to get through the portrait hole, seeing as his legs are stuck together by what looks like the Leg-Locker Curse.

Everyone falls over laughing except for Hermione, who immediately springs up and performs the countercurse. Celeste rushes over and helps the trembling boy to his feet.

"What happened?" The third year asks him as she and Hermione lead him over to sit with Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy," says Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urges Neville while Celeste begins planning the best way to get Draco back. "Report him!"

Neville shakes his head.

"I don't want more trouble," he mumbles.

"I do," Celeste says. "See how he likes having his legs locked."

"Exactly!" Ron says. "You've got to stand up to him, Neville! He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville chokes out.

Harry pulls out a Chocolate Frog from his robes and gives it to Neville, who looks like he might start crying.

"You're worth twelve of Malfoy," Harry says.

"The Sorting Hat put you in Gryffindor for a reason, Neville. You belong here," Celeste tells him.

"Yeah, and where's Malfoy?" Harry asks. "In stinking Slytherin."

Neville's lips twitch in a weak smile as he unwraps the frog.