CHAPTER Fourteen

"Will you continue this beautiful melody of life with me, and be the love that colors my every tomorrow?"

The air seemed to hold its breath as Gulf looked into Mew's eyes, the question's weight lingering in the space between them. The distant sound of the ocean provided a backdrop to this pivotal moment, where time seemed suspended, and the universe itself awaited Gulf's response.

Gulf's heart swelled with love and happiness at the question, and he wanted nothing more than to say yes. But as he looked into Mew's eyes, he couldn't shake the unease that had been gnawing at him for some time. He took a deep breath, mustering the courage to say the words he had been keeping.

Gulf smiled and reached for his lover's hand and held it tightly. And with that, he was able to find solace and courage to look into Mew's eyes as if they were assuring him that everything would be better.

"I love you more than anything else, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you," Gulf began, and took another seconds of deep breath.

"But... Not at this moment. I can't help but worry about what people will say, especially your father's friends, and your other business partners." Gulf paused as he felt like a large lump had been stuck in his throat, and tears began to form in his eyes.

"Our relationship is different from other couples. I mean, I don't care if they will only throw unpleasant words at me. But I can't bear hearing such words..." Mew's face fell at Gulf's words, and he reached out to cup his face in his hands.

"Shh, I understand."

"I'm sorry." Gulf looked down as tears began to form, but Mew held his chin and made him look at him, gently wiping Gulf's tears with his thumb.

"Shh, don't be sorry..." Mew smiled to hide the pain inside him. It wasn't because his proposal was rejected, but because he never had a pinch of idea about his lover's feelings. He felt so inconsiderate.

"Are you going to leave me?" The sadness in Gulf's eyes has pierced Mew's heart.

"Of course not. I am willing to wait until you're ready. I don't care if it'll take another ten years, or even a hundred. As long as we're together, I am willing to wait. Got it?" Mew smiled as he wiped the last tear that fell from Gulf's eyes. Mew then drew him into his arms and eased his lover's feelings with his warm embrace.

"I love you so much." He kissed Gulf's forehead and held him tightly into his arms.

"I love you more. " Gulf replied.

***************

"Meh, how was the vacation? Did you enjoy it?" The department head, Olive uttered teasingly when Gulf came into the office, smiling from ear to ear.

"Yes, it was great." replied the young man as he turned his computer on. He couldn't contain his happiness upon recalling what happened the entire vacation.

"Was it because of the place, or someone else?" The lady gave him a teasing grin which made him chuckle.

"Yiee, it's good to be young." She commented. Gulf just smiled while shaking his head. Then, he focused his attention on his monitor.

"I'm really sorry for taking a week off from work." He uttered.

"Come on, it's fine. You deserve it. I know you've been through a lot especially when I was off abroad for a business trip. Besides, I know how pressured you are now that your brother's wedding is fast approaching." Gulf heaved out a sigh and smiled bitterly.

Once the wedding was over, his older brother Gun decided to give up his position as the company's CEO to build his own business and declare his younger brother the new CEO of GK Corp. Gulf knew that becoming a leader of such a huge company isn't a joke

The young man's mind was so occupied that he never noticed the time had moved fast.

"Gulfie, it's already time for lunch. Let's eat together." one of his coworkers invited, but Gulf only looked at him and smiled.

"You go ahead, I still have to finish this one." He politely replied.

"You sure? Anything you want? We can grab something for you."

"No thanks, I can finish this in no time. I'll just go downstairs." He refused. The other party just nodded and went on outside the office. Gulf drifted back his attention to the monitor and started typing on the keyboard again.

Gulf was still concentrating on his work and he didn't notice that the break had ended. He again ended up skipping a meal. Gulf sighed. He already felt his fingers numb from typing the reports, so he shortly stretched his fingers and cracked his knuckles.

"Everyone's almost here. I'll just have a cup of coffee, then." He stood up from his chair and went to the pantry room with his mug. Upon noticing that everyone had returned to the office, Gulf carried his coffee out of the room and returned to his table.

When he reached his table, confusion was traced into the young man's expression as he saw an egg sandwich and a yogurt drink on his table. He put his coffee aside and then took the note stuck on the packaging.

"You haven't had your lunch. Please take it."

Gulf breathed deeply and drifted his gaze at Cielle who was busy on her computer. She might not say it but Gulf already knew it was her handwriting. She immediately diverted her eyes when she saw him looking at her.

Cielle might still feel guilty about what happened to them years ago. However, Gulf wasn't affected by the situation anymore. Anyway, it has been so long, and he already moved on. Perhaps, it's just that neither of them initiated to talk first.

The young man put the note in his drawer and seated back on his swivel chair. Then, he focused his full attention on the pile of documents he needed to review before giving them to the department head. He hadn't touched the sandwich on his desk until he noticed his stomach rumble.

He waited until the clock ticked at three before he stretched his back and shortly left his desk again to grab his second mug of coffee at the pantry. It's time for a fifteen-minute afternoon break As he stirred the coffee in his mug, he heard the door open, and Cielle came in with her mug, grabbing the coffee from the cupboard. A silence of awkwardness changed the atmosphere.

Gulf wanted to start a conversation, but how will he begin? He raised his mug to take a quick sip of his coffee to at least ease the awkwardness he was feeling.

"How are you doing?" So, she was the one who started the conversation. Gulf paused and kept his gaze on the steamy drink in his mug, then slightly raised the corner of his mouth as he turned around and leaned his back at the cabinet.

"Still doing good." He replied.

"How about you?" He threw the question back at her. Gulf saw the bitterness of her expression.

"I'm also fine." She smiled. And again, for another couple of minutes, they were both engulfed by a deafening silence.

"Thanks for the sandwich and drink, by the way." Gulf was trying to lift the awkwardness between them. He realized that the discomfort between them should not continue especially since they are working in the same department.

"Oh, so you knew." She implied.

"Well, it's not that hard to recognize your handwriting on the note." The young lady shortly smirked. That's when he realized what he just said.

"I'm sorry." She uttered in embarrassment. Gulf once again took a short sip of his coffee and walked towards the door. He just held the knob when Cielle suddenly called him. Confused, the young man turned to gaze at her.

"About what happened to us..." She didn't finish her sentence when Gulf cut her off.

"Cielle... If you're thinking that I am still holding hard feelings, don't worry, I already moved on. It's just in the past." He smiled and opened the door.

But before he could totally leave the pantry, he once again paused and said. "I'm glad to see you again, Cielle." Gulf briefly stopped and breathed deeply after closing the door behind him.