That Man

FULL STORY SUMMARY

Rated M for mature. Reader discretion advised.

Following her mother's passing, the young Himari Maeda and her father become involved with the ruthless Kato family. Himari endures ongoing mistreatment from the family, but everything takes a turn when she unknowingly falls for Muzan Kibutsuji, The Progenitor of Demons.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

🤍 THANKS FOR READING 🤍

CHAPTER VOCABULARY

* shiromiso: white miso

* katsuobushi: bonito flakes

* udon: thick, wheat-flour noodle

MEDIA DICTIONARY

* Thoughts

* "Dialogue."

* 'Telepathic dialogue.'

* "Past conversation."

* {Sound}

* [Movement]

HIMARI

In the late evening, the metro ride to the city marketplace was short. Himari got off the metro with tote bags in hand. She pulled out the list from her pocket and attempted to make out the writing.

"Two dozen eggs, katsuobushi, shiromiso..." Himari meandered through the market, swiftly gathering all the items. After thirty minutes, she was left with only one item to obtain.

A few pounds of beef...

Himari searched for a charcuterie to buy some beef. Minutes later, she found a meat merchant that had a few pounds left in stock. As she approached the shop, Himari tripped, falling flat onto her stomach. "Umph!"

A couple onlookers burst into laughter at the sight.

Himari rose to her feet and collected her bags. Despite her kimono being soiled with dirt, that was the least of her concerns. Himari urgently needed to buy the remaining pounds of beef, or she would face severe consequences.

The young woman rushed to the merchant and breathlessly said, "Four pounds of beef, please."

"That'll be one thousand and three hundred yen."

Himari dug in her pocket and realized that she didn't have enough money to cover the bill. Unfortunately, she had mistakenly overestimated the amount of money Soaku had given to her. It wouldn't be unexpected if Soaku had intentionally did not give her with not enough money to cover all the items on the grocery list. "Oh no..."

"Lady, you're holding up the line!" the merchant groaned, growing impatient. "Either pay up or get out of the line!"

"Please, sir, wait a moment."

Panicking, Himari continued rummaging in her coin purse and her pockets.

Dear God, if I don't bring back beef, she'll kill me for sure!

"Lady, hurry and pay up!"

Himari persistently rummaged through her possessions, desperately seeking some extra cash, all the while trembling with fear. "W-wait a moment, please..."

MUZAN

"Daddy, daddy, daddy! Can we please go to the candy shop? I want the yellow taffy, just like last time!"