CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE
Maddie was exhausted. She had stayed awake all day in the hopes of hearing from Zanna. She needed help, and quickly, or she'd be unable to do her civic duty.

Someone knocked on her door just before sunset. Maddie raced to the door, expecting to see Zanna, or maybe one of her friends. Instead, she was greeted by a very handsome man with blonde hair and the most charming smile Maddie had ever seen.

"Madison Gallagher, right?" He asked.

"My friends call me Maddie," she replied.

"It's nice to meet you, Maddie. You know my cousin, Zanna." His words were spoken in an adorable Southern accent.

"You're Zanna's cousin?" She repeated. It was hard to believe someone so polite was related to the angry warlock.

He extended his hand to her as he said, "Yes, Ma'am. My name is Oliver Blackrain. I'm here to help you."

"Did Zanna give you a way for me to walk outside during the day?" Maddie asked eagerly.

Oliver looked mildly surprised by her question. "No, Maddie, I'm afraid she didn't. Is that what you're trying to do?"

"Well, I have jury duty, and I need to report because it's the law, but obviously, it's a problem for me to go out in the sun."

An amused smile played at Oliver's lips. "You're an interesting girl, Maddie Gallagher," he decided. "Most vampires don't worry about serving jury duty."

"It's my civic duty."

He smiled wider. "Yes it is," he agreed. "Maddie, I came here to warn you that you're in danger."

"Danger?" She repeated in confusion.

"My family believes you may be a threat to them."

"I don't understand... I'm just an aspiring writer who works as a bartender at night to pay the bills. I'm not a threat to anyone."

"There's a prophecy. A young vampire will be the key to opening the gate to incredible power. Whoever controls that vampire will control everything. You don't understand what is inside of you, Maddie, but I do."

"I knew you were in town to cause trouble, Ollie," Zanna said as she appeared behind him. "Get out of here before I hex your balls off."

"I'm here to help, Zanna," Oliver insisted.

"Warlocks don't help anyone but themselves."

Maddie suddenly remembered that Zanna had said her entire family was evil. She'd been lulled into a false sense of security by Oliver's charming smile and light Southern drawl. She took a slight step backward, but looking at Oliver, she couldn't view him as a threat. He seemed too genuine.

"I believe him, Zanna," Maddie decided aloud.

"That's because you're a baby vamp with no real knowledge of the supernatural," Zanna replied. "Leave, Oliver, or I'll show you what I've learned in the last twenty years."

Oliver smiled apologetically at Maddie. "Forgive my cousin, Miss Maddie. She has trust issues," he said. "I'll head out for now." He walked away.

Zanna pushed her way into the house. "Didn't anyone ever teach you not to talk to strangers?" She demanded.

"He said he was your cousin," Maddie replied.

"Which should have been enough to make you slam the door in his face." Zanna shook her head before shoving a necklace at Maddie. "Here. This talisman will let you walk in the sun. The Master of the City is assigning you a bodyguard. He should show up soon. She said his name is Doug. If any strangers approach you who are not a vampire named Doug, don't trust them. Are we clear?"