CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

Maddie was only mildly surprised to see Zanna sitting inside of her apartment when she arrived home.

"Hi, Zanna," she greeted her pleasantly as she locked the door.

"Your bodyguard sucks. Didn't he detect someone inside of your apartment?" Zanna asked instead of saying hello. "I mean, the Master said he was supposed to be good at this."

"Doug is supposed to protect me from threats. You're not a threat," Maddie replied practically.

"He doesn't know that. You don't even know that! I'm a warlock, Princess. Betrayal is in my DNA."

"You won't hurt me, Zanna," Maddie insisted. "You're my friend."

"The fuck I am."

"You are. We had coffee together and you went out of your way to get me a magickal talisman so I can report for jury duty. We're definitely friends."

Zanna sighed. "You're a very frustrating girl, Maddie. Look, I'm here because you're in danger."

"From your aunt?"

"From my entire fucking family, apparently. Oliver was telling the truth about that much. My bitch aunt-"

"You mean Josephine? She seems interesting," Maddie interrupted her.

"My bitch aunt," Zanna continued, "sent her bitch daughters to put a magickal mark on you that only a Blackrain can take full control of."

"I'm sorry... I'm confused," Maddie admitted.

"There's a shock," Zanna mumbled.

"I don't know much about magick, Zanna. What does this mark do, exactly?"

"It binds you to whichever member of the family successfully claims you first."

"So, who am I bound to?" Maddie asked nervously.

"Currently, no one," Zanna replied. "Much to my annoyance, that's going to change in about five minutes." She pulled out several small jars of herbs and a few magickal tools. The first thing she did was cut Maddie's palm with a knife.

"Ouch!" Maddie cried, pulling her hand away.

Zanna cut her own palm before grabbing Maddie's hand and beginning to chant in Latin. Maddie might not know much about magick, but she could feel it flowing through her now.

Her wrist felt like it was on fire. Maddie glanced down at it and saw a strange tattoo forming on her flesh. It was a sun wrapped in thorny vines that formed a pentagram. The vines trapped the sun, or perhaps they were protecting it, depending on one's point of view. Maddie chose to view it as a protective symbol. The tattoo was red, almost like it had been painted with blood.

Zanna had a new red tattoo on her wrist, too. It was identical to Maddie's. Zanna's tattoo started to glow, and Maddie realized hers was radiating with light as well.

"We just got matching tattoos," Maddie said with a laugh. "You know, where I'm from, this would make us besties."

"And where would that be? Venus?" Zanna asked.

"Minnesota, actually," Maddie replied. "Specifically, I'm from Duckland. It's a very small farming town known for our friendly people and our county fairs-"

"I didn't ask for a history lesson, Princess," Zanna cut her off.

"We call the residents Duckies," Maddie continued.