CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

The sunlight was nearly blinding when Damian left his home. He didn't mind; the sun's rays always felt good to him. After all, that was the closest he was allowed to get to touching the Light.

He felt the warlocks before he spotted them. Their power levels were remarkably high. The woman walked toward him with confidence, her cowboy boots moving with purpose. The man followed behind her looking both determined and threatening simultaneously.

"A dark angel," the woman said with a smile. "What a rare find!"

"I don't want any trouble," Damian said softly.

"Help us and you won't have any," she promised. She touched his chest, running her fingers across his flesh as she added, "I'll make it worth your while."

Damian quickly put distance between them. "Quit throwing yourself at him, Geneva," the man said. "You're better than that."

"Hush, Elliot," she replied. "I was just having a little bit of fun with him." She smiled at Damian and added, "You are quite the specimen, though. We could have a lot of fun together."

"I really must be going," Damian said. He tried to walk away.

"Aw, don't be like that," Elliot said. "Join us, Dark Angel... We'll show you real power." He grabbed onto Damian's arm and the wind picked up suddenly. As Elliot let his power flow around him, Damian wondered if he could catch the air with his wings and take off. He kept them hidden, especially during the day, but this was an emergency.

Elliot sliced Damian's arm with a blade. It made him feel as if his flesh had burst into flames. He tried to pull his arm free, but the blade was full of magick, and that was reacting badly with Damian's energy. He felt sick as Elliot traced a symbol on his arm with the blade.

Damian heard a low, deliberate growl and looked for the source, trying to focus his mind. A wolf stood a few feet away glaring at Elliot like he might maul him any second.

"El, I think we'd better go for now," Geneva said in warning. "This werewolf has a taste for warlocks."

"Disgusting filth..." Elliot mumbled.

The wolf lunged at him, snapping his teeth very close to Elliot's leg in warning. Geneva grabbed Elliot's hand and practically dragged him away.

The wolf turned toward Damian. He quickly shifted back into his human form, and Damian recognized the Beta from the bar.

"Are you alright?" Lucas asked.

"Yes," Damian replied softly. "Thank you," he added a bit awkwardly. He wasn't used to people showing him kindness. It was such a foreign concept, he wasn't entirely sure how to respond.

The spell had been broken before it could be completed, but Damian's arm was still bleeding. "You're injured," Lucas said in concern. He tore part of his shirt and used it to stop the bleeding. Damian watched him in confusion, uncertain of why he was still helping him.

"We seem to be dealing with a warlock infestation in the City," Lucas said as he continued applying pressure to the wound.

"You speak as though they are insects," Damian replied.

"There are similarities. They're beginning to swarm like gnats, multiplying by the hour... This is abnormal. Most warlocks fear crossing the Master Vampire. Her reputation is enough to keep them out of the five boroughs. I don't understand why that's suddenly changed."

"Maddie," Damian said softly. "Their lust for power is stronger than their fear. They wish to control her."

"Doug certainly has his work cut out for him."