CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

Oliver was freezing when he woke up. He was also not in his room. He looked around the strange hotel room and realized it was covered in ice.

Oh, Hades, he thought. He sat up and said, "Hey, Sis. It's been a while."

Geneva Blackrain stepped into view then, turning visible. Her long blonde hair was a stark contrast against her black sweater and tight blue jeans, as was the red lipstick she tended to favor. She was rocking a pair of cowboy boots as usual. Her icy blue eyes looked him over as if she could see into his soul. Maybe she could; His older sister had many talents.

"Oliver Blackrain, as I live and breathe!" She declared after a moment. "You were the last person I expected to run into in New York City."

"Can't a guy sightsee?" He asked innocently.

"Not this guy. You've always got a plan. What are you up to, Ollie?"

"I had a vision and couldn't resist coming out to play," he replied, keeping his tone casual. "Why are you in town, Gen?"

"Grandmother wishes for the family to capture a vampire for her. I'm fairly certain you knew that already."

"What could Helena possibly want with a vampire? They're beneath us, aren't they?"

"This vampire is special, Ollie. Grandmother wants her under our control, and soon. The question, Little Brother, is whether or not you're going to help us bring her home."

As the air was suddenly sucked from Oliver's lungs, he realized Geneva hadn't come alone. He focused until he was able to break free from Elliot's hold.

"Is that any way to greet your big brother, Elliot?" He asked dryly once he was able to breathe again.

"Well, when that brother leaves you and the rest of the family behind, he doesn't really count anymore," Elliot replied. His anger radiated off of him in waves. Oliver was mildly surprised by it.

"It's not like you were a little kid when I left, El. You were nineteen," Oliver pointed out.

"And apparently, I had more loyalty to the family than you did."

"We're warlocks, Elliot. Loyalty's not exactly our strong suit."

"Tell us where we can find the vampire and I'll forget we found you."

"What about you, Sis? Will you forget you found me, too?" Oliver asked.

"If you hand over the vamp, we'll let you live your merry little life," Geneva replied, her drawl thicker than ever as she turned incredibly serious. "But if you screw us over, I swear on every dark deity in the Universe, we will hunt you down and slaughter you. Slowly."

Oliver knew Geneva well enough to know she meant every word of her threat. He also knew he should tell his siblings where Maddie was and return to his house in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, as tempting as returning to his sanctuary was, it wasn't an option. Not anymore. Not since he'd found Zanna, and not since he'd actually met Maddie. He couldn't bring himself to betray her, even though he barely knew the girl.

"Well, I guess we're at a stalemate, guys... You see, I can't give y'all what you want. I don't know where she is."

"You're lying," Elliot said sharply.

"What makes you so sure, El?" Oliver asked calmly.

"You suck at it."

"I resent that! I happen to be an excellent liar! Our father taught me how to lie before I even learned to read."