Family Ties

Sarah was waiting at the window for her brother's truck to pull into the driveway. 

"Tink, sitting there is not going to make him get here any faster," Carol said working on her knitting.

"I haven't seen him in so long. Just let me have this Mom."

He rolled up, parked, exited, and pulled his bags from the truck's bed. 

"YAY! He's here. See. it worked!"

"And you only had to sit there for an hour," Jack said while reading his copy of The New York Times.

She couldn't contain herself anymore. She sprinted to the front door, threw it open, and ran. "BEAN!" She leapt off her feet, and he caught her in mid-air. "I missed you so much, " she said.

She repeatedly gave him quick kisses all over his face.

He scrunched his face. "Tink! Tink! Stop. I missed you too," Dean said with a small laugh.

He bent over to put her down, and she hung there like a gold chain.

"You're going to break my neck. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

"What's with the five o'clock shadow? I'm not sure about it. It's pokey."

"Still hanging on my neck."

"Sarah Grace Driscoll, release your brother!" Carol called out from the open front door, wiping her hands on her apron.

"FINE!" She released her grip and dropped a foot to the ground.

She took his hand and dragged him to the door.

"Come give Mama some sugar." Carol presented her cheek.

"Hello, Mom." He kissed her cheek and gave her a firm hug.

"Ease up. I'm old and frail. Don't break me in half," she said.

"No, you are not. You are still young and beautiful. Just like the day we met. And you are about sixty pounds lighter, too." Jack took his wife in his arms, dipped her, and gave her a passionate kiss.

"Gross."

"Oh, get over yourself, Tink. You should be so lucky if your husband kisses you like that after twenty years of marital bliss," Carol said.

"You are looking good, son. I'm not sure about the scruff, but it's ruggedly handsome; California really agrees with you."

Dean shook his father's hand and then hugged him. "Or is it because of Allison? Where is she, by the way?" he asked.

"Is she coming later?" Carol asked. "Hope she knows she'll have to fly commercial. We are not sending the Gulfstream back for her."

"She can walk for all I fucking care," Sarah said under her breath.

Dean shot her a look.

"Sore topic? The amazing Allison?" Sarah said with disdain.

"I'm going to go put my things in my room."

He picked up his bags from the foyer and headed for his room, crossing the nine thousand-square-foot farmhouse.

It was a beautiful ranch-style home that had been in the family for over a century. It had been updated and rooms enlarged and additions to it over the years. At one time, nine people lived in the house. His father had a big family. Six brothers and three sisters, all two years apart, except for their Uncle Perry. He and his father were twins.

The Driscolls had made their money in Thoroughbred horses. When a horse would retire, they would sell its sperm for breeders to procreate their mares. They also have several bulls, but the horses are where the money is. The business has been in the family for several decades. It started with Jack's grandfather, and the operation was handed down to the family's males. Dean has expressed no interest in it and told his dad that his cousins were welcome to it. He'll keep his shares. He lives off the interest anyway. He and his sister have more money than they could spend in a hundred lifetimes. Jack and Carol have more money than God.