HEARTBROKEN

Dean started up the driveway, expecting his sister to come busting out of the front door. He made it all the way, but there was no little sister. His Tink was nowhere to be found, and his heart sank.

Was this because of the summer? Is she embarrassed to see me? Does she regret everything we did? Maybe she's not here. She has never let me make it to the door. Ever. I should turn around and go home. This was a bad mistake. What if she does regret it? That would destroy me. I can't lose her. Not my baby sister. But that's it. She's my sister, not my lover, not my girlfriend, and not my wife. Just the love of my life.

His mom met him at the front door. She opened her arms.

"Oh, my little boy! Welcome home!"

He put his bags down, hugged his mom, and kissed her on the cheek.

"So, is Sarah not here?"

"Well, it's nice to see you too," she said, hands on her hips.

"Sorry, Mom. How are you? It's been a while. You look beautiful as always. I like what you've done with your hair."

"Well, that's on you, and she's here. She's in the den with your father. Why?"

"She usually meets me in the driveway and never lets me even get to the door. She's always met me ever since I can remember. Even when I was a kid and was getting off the school bus, she would always be there, impatiently pacing and jumping around, like a little jumping bean."

He put his bags in the hall and walked to the den with Carol.

"Thank you for the compliment, Bean. You always know how to make a lady smile."

"Maybe she didn't know I was here."

"No, we heard your door shut. That's why I knew to meet you at the door," she said.

They walked into the den. His father stood up from his chair to greet him.

"Hi, son," Jack said.

"Hi, Dad." They shook hands and hugged.

Natalie was sitting on the couch, cuddled up close next to someone. It took a moment, but he did recognize the large silhouette.

Fucking Vasquez.

Sarah turned her head. "Hi, bro. How was your trip?"

Bro? She has never called me, bro.

She didn't move, and she didn't get up to hug him. The other person's head turned.

"Hey, Buddy," Alex said with a smile.

He stood up, and they shook hands. "Hey, Vasquez. How have you been? Even more, what brings you by?

"I'm great. I'm here because Sarah and I are together. When did we start dating seriously?"

"End of July. About a week after your visit, Bean," she said.

"She didn't tell you? I thought you tell him everything, Angel."

Angel? That's it; I'm going to vomit right here. Right now. All over my three-hundred-dollar shoes.

"No. She did not." He glared at her.

"How about you, Dean? Are you seeing anyone? Sarah told me about you and Allison. I'm sorry what went down. You deserve better, man."

"Yeah, thanks. I'm not dating anyone seriously. Sometimes, you're with that one person you can't seem to get over."

"Give it time. A good-looking guy like you can have anyone he sets his sights on."