Why Didn't We See This Coming?

A/N: Hiya guys! I'm sorry this chapter took so long to get out, my life has been a little crazy since December and I struggled a bit with this chapter. But it's finally done 😁! The next chapter will probably take a while since I start school in February, and that will take up a lot of my time, but hopefully not! Anyway I hope you all enjoy~!

Sterling and Josele belong to loosesodamarble on tumblr and Leon and Solara belong to thoughtfullyrainy !

Warnings: Mentions of bodily injuries, mentions of blood, character death

————

The Black Bull's Hideout

It felt like time stood still as everyone just stared at the small pile of bodies that lied in the center of the room. It was like everyone and everything was frozen. No one moved, no one breathed, and for a moment Yami swore he didn't see anyone blink. Until finally he heard Charlotte speak softly behind him.

" Hana, Brielle, Lovely, I need you to take the younger kids outside for a while, alright?" She asked her middle child softly, but Hana shook her head.

" But big sis-!" Hana began, but her mother quickly shook her head.

" Hikari will be alright, so please just take care of the others." She told her, her voice still soft, but it held a firmness to it. Which Hana knew meant that she was serious. Hana, Lovely, and Brielle quickly looked at each other before they began to usher the younger children out of the room.

As soon as the younger children left the room, everyone seemed to be snapped back to reality. Each parent rushed towards their child. Panic, worry, and fear laced their voices, eyes, and faces as they each reached them.

" I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry! I only got the vision a few hours ago, and when I did, I rushed over here as quickly as I could since my communication device wasn't working!" Sterling told them, panic in her voice as she rushed over to them. But Josele quickly shook her head as she cupped her eldest child's face gently.

" It's not your fault Sterling, you did well," She told her softly, a tender smile on her face. " Do you mind going outside with the younger kids? I'm worried they might get into a bit of trouble if left unsupervised."

The red haired girl nodded slowly before doing as her mother asked and running out the same door that the younger kids did.

Meanwhile, Yami quickly knelt down and carefully cradled Hikari's cool and limp body in his arms. Her dark hair was matted with blood, her clothes were torn, and her skin was deathly pale and cool to the touch...he couldn't ever recall a time when she was so cold. But she was still breathing, it was shallow, but it was there and that was what mattered.

He slowly looked up, he could hear the screams and shouts of the Bulls as they urged their children to wake up. But it all sounded so muffled to him. It was like his head was underwater. He could see Gordon and Henry holding Wendy and Alice tightly in their arms, with Zora and Josele trying their best to aid the girls as Nacht issued various orders to his four devils.

He could see Gauche holding Aloys in his arms, and hear his muffled shouts as Grey tried to use her healing spell on him. His grey eyes slowly moved towards where Finral and Vanessa were kneeling. The Spatial mage seemed to be in shock as he held Ezio's body, while Vanessa was doing her best to try to snap him out of his daze.

But what pulled Yami out of his daze was Secre, who rushed over to the pile.

" Rune! Rune, what are you doing here?!" She shouted in shock as she picked up her 21-year-old son.

Rune was the adopted son of Secre. She had found him outside the Hideout when he was 11 years old, and at first she was going to take him to the orphanage in Kikka. But the longer she was around him, the more he reminded her of Lumiere, both in appearance and in personality...and in the end she just couldn't give him up. When he got his grimoire, he decided instead of becoming a Magic Knight, he was going to travel all around the world and see everything it had to offer. Secre was a little saddened, but still supported his decision.