Territorial

Theo walked in on his parents eating chicken noodle soup in the kitchen when he returned home that evening from eating at the cafe with Zach and Doug.

"Have a nice dinner?" Keira asked him.

"Yeah, we had steak."

"Aww man." Owen said with a pout. Keira patted her husband's shoulder comfortingly.

"I like steak." Owen said.

Theo chuckled before sitting on the couch. Rex jumped up into his lap and curled up into a ball instantly.

He watched the television while half-listening to his parent's conversation about the raptor's pack work. He suddenly saw their pictures appear on the screen.

"Hey guys,  you're on T.V." he said sitting up and grabbing the remote making the volume higher.

Owen and Keira arose and walked over. They watched the screen as the news anchor spoke rapidly in Spanish.

"You would think by now we would have learned Spanish." Owen whispered to her.

"We tried." she shrugged.

"They are talking about the sanctuary."  Theo said. "And the dinosaur research."

"Our son can speak Spanish?" Owen asked Keira. She rolled her eyes with a smirk before smacking his chest and sitting down beside Theo.

A man appeared on the screen talking to a news reporter. The family recognized him as the newest President of Costa Rica, Mateo Segura.

"What's he going on about?"

"He's talking about working out a deal with the island with the research. Probably looking into funding some stuff." Theo told them.

He watched his parents exchange careful glances with each other.

"He looks like a nice guy." Theo said.

"All politicians look nice." Owen said. "It's how they get the votes. They pick out their smiles and suits for the day and waltz out to give speeches and kiss babies."

"Let's just be rational." Keira said to him. "We don't know what they're looking at."

"Has anyone ever come to us with a positive offer?" Owen reminded her.

Keira didn't answer.

"Exactly."

Theo was sprawled out on his bed asleep with Rex resting by his head when he was startled awake by the squeal. He lifted his head and groaned as he pushed himself out of bed. He shuffled his way out of his bedroom to see his father attempting to quiet down his mother who was jumping up and down clutching her radio happily.

"What's going on?" he asked with a yawn.

"Theo!" she said before holding onto him tightly.

"Ma!" he squeaked from her strong grip. He looked to his father for some assistance.

"Okay, easy Lenny," Owen said pulling his wife away.

"Seriously what's happening?"

"We have a few natural hatchlings in the stegosaurus herd." his father told him.

Theo grinned at his mother's excitement. A natural hatching was what his mother looked forward to the most. When most of the males being sterile in the beginning of the sanctuary, it meant things were moving on the right path.

"Do you want to come with me?" she asked him. Theo couldn't refuse his mother's request seeing a spark in her eyes.

"Sure." he said.

They arrived at the plains to find Zach there already as he lead the way towards the nest.

"No sign of the parents?" Keira asked him in a low whisper.

"Not yet. I'm sure they aren't far though." Zach told her.

"They never are." Owen pointed out.

They heard a cracking sound. Keira gripped Owen's arm who chuckled at her reaction. The eggs began to hatch.

"Oh this is so great!" she cheered as the first baby poked it's head out. The others began to hatch as well.

"All the eggs made it." Zach smiled.

Keira walked out approaching the nest.

"Keira!" Owen called to her. "Are you crazy!? What am I saying, of course you are."

Keira knelt down by the nest observing the newly hatched babies as they pulled themselves out of the eggs. One of them stumbled and fell out of the nest causing her to giggle. She reached down and scooped it up into her arms.

"You're an adventurous one , aren't you?"

"Keira, get out of there." Owen said.

"Oh will you calm down!"

There was a rustling of the trees when one stegosaurus adult appeared.

Theo held his breath as the larger dinosaur made it's way over to his mother and the nest. Unlike the hatchery births where someone was always present, there were cases where the dinosaurs became defensive over their nests even with the humans they had grown up seeing on a daily basis.

Owen arose slowly preparing himself if he had to leap into action. The stegosaurus approached Keira eyeing it's young in her arms and let out a call. 

The baby called back in her arms.

Another stegosaurus appeared behind the other. The first one let out a huff of air into Keira's face with a grunting noise with it's tail swaying back and forth.

"Shit this isn't good."

The men stood stock still when suddenly, the other way brushed passed the first one knocking it aside slightly. It lowered it's head down sniffing Keira but then moved on to nuzzle the hatchling before moving onto the others, not even bothering with Keira.

Keira gave a thumbs up as Owen sighed in relief.

"Okay, you saw them, now put the baby down and get over here!" he said waving his arms motioning her over. She chuckled before placing the baby back in the next and jogging over.

"Oh honey, you look stress." she teased Owen.

Owen made a face. "You're the reason I'm graying woman!"