Anniversary

Keira hit the call button on the Skype app calling her parents on her tablet as she sat on the bed. Both Theo and Owen were out of the house. Theo wasn't really speaking to either one of them since his little spat in the plains.

"Hello, hello." She smiled as her father appeared on the screen.

"Hi Dad."

"Hi sweetheart." Alan said with a smile. He was losing more and more of his current white hair. "How are you?"

"I'm okay." she said.

"Something wrong?"

"How can you always tell?" she asked.

"I'm your father, it's in the job description."

She giggled.

"Go on, tell me."

Keira explained President Segura's visit to the island and his proposal while petting Rex who was sleeping beside her.

"You told him to stick it..."

"Of course."

"I have a feeling there's more to this."

"It's Theo. He actually agrees with it."

"What?!" Alan said. "Is he there right now, let me talk to him."

"No Dad, he's not here and you don't have to talk to him about it. I think Theo is mesmerized by the idea of making a difference."

"Tell him to start doing his own laundry. That'll make a difference."

She shook her head with a slight laugh. "Thanks Dad."

"I know I don't need to say this but be careful sweetheart."

A couple of days later, Theo was walking back when his dad was driving away from the Bungalow in the sanctuary vehicle. He stopped beside Theo.

"Get in." he said. Theo hesitated, he hadn't really spoken to either parent since he raised his voice at his mother. He felt bad about it, but he didn't want to apologize for having a different opinion from them. He opened the door and sat in the passenger seat.

They drove in silence for a bit.

"So, you're still going to give your mother and I the silent treatment?" Owen said avoiding to approach the subject delicately.

Theo looked over at him before looking out the window. "No."

"Good," Owen said,"because it drives your mother crazy." he said.

"I'm not changing my opinion though." Theo said.

"And that is?"

"I think President Segura had a good idea."

"Ah, right... that opinion." Owen sighed. "Well, it is your opinion and you're entitled to it son." he said. "Just like how your mother and I are entitled to ours. Difference is, we win." 

Theo couldn't help but chuckle at his father's goofy triumphant grin.

"So where are we going?" Theo asked.

"I have a surprise for your mother, it is our anniversary after all."

"Oh right, I forgot."

"Well, it's not a bad thing when you forget. It's a bad thing when I forget."

"What did you get her?" Theo asked as they arrived.

"Oh just a little something something."

Keira sat at the lunch table with Lowery resting her chin on the table.

"Shouldn't you be all smiles, it's your anniversary."

"Theo hasn't spoken to me in a few days." she told him.

"Keira, he's a teenager. I didn't speak to my parents for two whole weeks because they didn't let me watch the season finale to Friends."

She raised a brow at him. "I wanted to know what happened!" he said defensively.

"Alright!" she put her hands up in defense.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's okay."

"Anyways, what I mean is, he won't stay mad forever. Give him a week and he'll be back to his usual self."

She smiled. "Dinosaurs are so much easier to raise." she said.

"Did you get something for Owen?" he asked.

"Maybe."

Owen arrived at the Bungalow after dropping Theo off at Zach's home to see Keira outside resting in a hammock with her feet dangling out. He walked over and began to swing it gently. She glanced up at him.

"Hi." she said softly.

"Hi." he leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. "Happy Anniversary." he said.

"Was that today?!" she asked sitting up abruptly. Owen's face dropped.

"You didn't..."

She laughed. "No," she handed him a box. He narrowed his eyes playfully at her. She moved over and allowed him to sit in the hammock. 

"What is it?"

"A box." she said. He smiled thinking back to the moment of their engagement. He opened it and saw a watch. But it wasn't just any type of watch. It was a wrist watch but the leather looked like dinosaur skin and the center of the watch looked like a dinosaur eye.

"This is...wow."

"Do you like it?" she asked.

"I love it." he smiled hugging her. He stood up. "Now it's your turn." he said offering a hand to get her out of the hammock. She gave him a curious look but followed him as he walked over to the vehicle.

"Close your eyes." he said.

"I'm not playing this game." she said.

"Close them Grant." he said.

"Well, you haven't called me that in awhile." she said before closing her eyes.

"Hold out your hands."

She extended her arms.

She heard him open the car door and close it. She heard a faint whimpering sound.

"Don't you dare open those eyes." he said.

She squeezed them shut.

"Alright, are you ready?"

"I'm ready." she said.

"Good." he was right in front of her by the sound of his voice. "Spider."

She felt something in her hands as she jumped but it was too heavy to be a spider as she fell over and too fluffy. Her eyes shot open and looked to her arms.

"Oh my..." the dog squirmed in her arms in all attempts to lick her face. "Oh hi!" she let out a cry. The dog's tail wagged. She looked up at Owen who smiled at her.

"But..you..."

Owen walked over patting the head of the Belgian Malinois .

"I know no one could ever replace Dino, but you need a dog. " he said. "Rex is awesome and all but you can't bring him into the plains with you."

He saw Keira's eyes glisten with tears as she hugged onto the dog. The dog looked at Owen.

"You'll get used to it." he said. He knelt down beside his wife and the newest addition. 

"She's a rescue I found online, I figured it was most fitting to bring her to a sanctuary, she's only two years old."

"What's her name?" Keira asked.

"Athena." he said.

She smiled. "That's lovely. Athena." she repeated. Athena barked happily at her.

"You'll fit in just fine here."