Breathe

"Oh they were so lovely!" Keira gushed.

"They wouldn't have been lovely if they ended up crushing you." Owen reminded her.

"After all these years and you still worry far too much." she said.

"Yes, because after all these years, your father still reminds me to take care of you."

Theo smirked. It sounded exactly like Grandpa Grant, a stern looking man but Theo had never witnessed the stern expression personally. He and Grandma Ellie were always all smiles when they came to visit or when they visited them in Montana.

They were heading to the cafeteria for lunch. He saw his parents intertwine their fingers as his father kept one hand on the wheel driving.

"Have you heard from President Segura?" Theo asked them.

"No. Thank God." his father huffed. Theo knew from past events that his dad was very cautious of all those that came to the island especially when they had a proposal.

Theo decided to remain silent for the rest of the trip. His mother turned around in her seat and gave him a wink.

Inside the cafeteria, Theo went to grab his lunch leaving his parent's side.

Keira and Owen saw Claire and Lowery sitting at a table.

"I'm still really confused by their relationship." Owen muttered to her. Keira grinned with a shrug. 

"It's been working out for them hasn't it?"

"Yeah but it's still creeps me out." he shivered.

"Be nice Mr. Grady." she whispered to him.

"I am, Mrs. Grady." he said before sticking his tongue out at her.

"Is that an offer?" she teased.

"Maybe. You taking me up on it?" he said patting her butt.

"Hey!" she said. "Not in public!"

"Ah right, modest is hottest." They sat down across from Claire and Lowery.

"Just the people I was needing to see." Claire said.

Owen arose but Keira pulled him back down.

"About what?" Keira asked.

"I received a phone call this morning from President-"

"Segura." the two finished for her.

She raised her brows. "Well yes. Did someone else tell you?"

"Nope." Owen said. "He made some sort of announcement on t.v last night."

"Oh good, so you know then."

"Know what?"

"He's coming to the island tomorrow."

"Ugh." Owen rubbed his face. "For what?"

"Well, he said he wanted to speak with the two of you about the research here."

"You couldn't tell him we weren't interested?"

"Owen, we need the Costa Rican government on our side, they are the closest mainland to us." Claire said.

"They've also helped us out several times before." Lowery added.

"I don't like the sound of this. We've gone through a couple of presidents and haven't had any of them visit the island, this guy gets into office and he's already planning a visit. Tomorrow!" Owen raised his voice causing workers to look over.

"Owen.." Keira said softly. "It's just a visit. We'll just listen to what he has to say and if we don't like it, it ends there. Okay?"

Owen looked at her to protest but thought against it. "Alright." 

"Is Dad okay?" Theo asked that evening as he sat beside his mother on the Bungalow's back porch. "He went to bed awfully early."

"He's fine. Just a bit cranky. You know how he gets about people coming to the island." Keira told him.

"But why? It's been forever since something bad has happened here." Theo said.

"Well, sometimes bad events can leave a lasting effect. You know, it took your grandfather over twenty two years before he set foot back on this island. Your father and I have had our own bad experiences on this island and he has every right to be cautious. "

Theo just sat there. "Don't worry about him. He'll be better tomorrow."

"You think so, with the president here?"

"After the president leaves." she smiled before kissing his forehead. Theo smiled before resting into his mother's side.

"Seeing those babies hatch today reminded me of the day you were born." she told him.

"Ma." he groaned.

"Oh stop. It's a beautiful thing." Keira said.

---

"Okay, all you have to do is breathe in and out. In and out. In and out." Owen said holding her hand as she was on the bed preparing to give birth.

She looked at him. "Owen, darling?"

"Yes?"

"Stop it." she said.

"Right. I'm just gonna be right here. Being quiet. You won't even know I'm here. I'll be that quiet. I-"

"Owen!" she laughed.

"Oh yeah."

Keira had been accidentally stepped on by young dinosaurs, trampled by triceratops, struck into a tree by an Apatosaurus, and stabbed in the leg, but in that moment nothing compared to the pain she was in as the doctor gave her orders to push. Owen remained true to his word staying by her side only offering a couple words of encouragement.

After what seemed to be forever, they were greeted by a cry.

"Oh thank god." Keira said resting back in exhaustion.

"Here he is. Your son."

Owen held onto the baby first. "He looks just like his ol' man."he said proudly before cooing at the baby.

"How could you even tell?" she chortled.

"Easy. Every Grady man is handsome." he held up his son's face to his. "See?"

Keira smiled as Owen walked over with the blanketed baby in his arms.

"We're parents!" Owen cheered gleefully.

"Sssh." Keira said with a smile. "He's asleep already."

----

"You were such a quiet baby." she said. Theo blushed.

"So smart too. As you got older we had to keep a special eye on you, climbing out of your crib, stacking things and climbing all over the place." she chuckled. "You're growing up too fast on me!" she said shaking him playfully.

"Aww come on Mom, it's not like I'm going anywhere, anytime soon." he pointed out.

He saw his mother's face falter slightly but she gave him a small smile. 

"We ought to get to bed ourselves." she finally said. "The president is coming."

Keira crawled into bed after brushing her teeth and throwing on her pajamas to hear Owen's light snoring. She curled up snuggling right into him, waking him up. He ran his hand through her hair.

"Sorry for being a grump." he said.

"Don't be. You have every right to be." she told him.

"You're not at all worried about his motives?"

"I am cautious but I want to give him a fair chance." she said.

He nodded before holding her tightly. "Just breathe Owen, I'll be there right beside you. If he gives us any trouble, we'll kick his ass back to Costa Rica."