Chapter 3: The divine birth

"What exactly do you want?" the chief asked this human-looking creature as the village gathered outside the Bandja.

The presence spoke and took witness

"A night with her: such is my price" the chief was furious and on the verge of tears, but he knew that there was no alternative to this request and that in exchange for his service, he could not refuse anything. He looked at his nganga and then the man and went away; and that was all.

That night, the stranger spent the night with Malela and some say they heard groans in the night from his hut. In the early morning, the whole village woke up as usual.

The stranger had gone. He had joined her. The chief tried to ignore it, but it was becoming increasingly difficult for him to live with it, especially since his daughter, once a virgin, was now pregnant. When his wife died, the chief again invoked the stranger.

He invited him to come and get his daughter, because after his misfortune, no one would ever marry him. In exchange, the chief wanted his daughter's child to be one of their own and to be deposited with him at birth so that he could raise him as a child and heir.

The foreigner accepted the agreement and came, one evening in the village, at the appointed time, accompanied by a dozen people in his wake. They brought food from the living game and smoked gold jewels and precious stones.

It was the dowry ceremony. That evening, around the wood fire, the whole village participated in the festival and the traditions were respected before the living and those who had preceded them. When she left, however, she left with the guests not without saying goodbye to the whole village and to her father in particular. She would live there, in their kingdom on the other side of the curtain.

The chief was serene especially since even if she no longer came to the village, her daughter sometimes met her former girlfriends or other members of the village. Which meant she didn't live far away, and sometimes she even played with her friends by the lake.

Then she was gone for a few weeks. One day, in the early morning, she came to the village and woke up her father who was now sleeping with another woman who would probably become his next wife.

She gave him the child that she had just had as planned all moved to have to part with him. She was crying and hugging her father and son very hard before returning to her husband.