[01] the high road

1. The High Road

"the most beautiful part is i wasn't even looking when i found you

"the most beautiful part is i wasn't even looking when i found you."

"HEY! EASY, ABE!" Danica yelled from the spot in the back of the truck. "Watch the fucking potholes!"

"Dani, please." Her older sister sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Language."

"What about it?" She grinned. "They're my favourite words."

"Dani—"

"Come on, Lucia. What is the big deal? First of all, I'm 25. Not 14. Second of all, it's the end of the world. Nobody's gonna be judging me on my vocabulary."

"You all judge me on my vocabulary." Eugene pointed out from the front seat.

"That's because you talk like a robot." she shrugged.

"The big deal," Lucia tried again, "Is that Dad never liked that sort of talk."

"Hate to point out the obvious, Luci, but Dad's not here."

Lucia remained silent, picking at the chipped nail polish on her thumbnail. Dani knew her older sister was disappointed in her. It was expected.

Before all of this, she was running a flower shop, not visiting Luci or her Dad nearly enough. In all honesty, the woman never really fit in... anywhere. She was alone in school. She never really had any friends. She wasn't like her family. They shared a deeper bond, that she suspected was to do with her mother.

The original Lucía Myers died whilst giving birth to Dani. So while her sister and father had the time to care and know such a woman, she never even got the chance to love her. She found herself often wondering what she was like. Was she more like Dani? Or Lucia? What was her favourite movie? Her favourite song? What colour did she like to wear the most?

These were all questions she could've asked but by, doing so, the woman decided it was like admitting she was upset. Not only did she think that she had no right to feel that way, she was also never a fan of talking about her emotions.

That being said, there was a hint of jealousy there. It was ugly and painful and extremely frustrating but it was there. Dragging her further and further from the ones she had left, until she felt like an outcast from her own blood. Home was just a place to her. She'd never experienced home as a feeling.

Dani adjusted her position, her sneaker accidentally touching her sister's boot. She knocked it again, purposefully this time, to make her move and leaned back, the wind rushing through her hair. As her gaze caught on the side of Rosita's face through the window, she watched her smile grow, the corners of her own lips twitching upwards.