[11] safety in numbers

11. Safety In Numbers

"people do bad things in order to survive

"people do bad things in order to survive."

TO HER VERY CORE, Lucia was ecstatic.

She had wanted a place, a good place, to call home for months. This was their chance. And God help anyone who messed this up for her and her sister.

She wanted Dani in a normal environment. She had been through enough. What with having to put down their walker father and the... incident in the church. She didn't need anything else like that.

A part of Lucia hoped she could find herself here. She had been noticing the little looks her younger sister was giving the Chambler girl: the subtle touches and magnetic draw to one another. She wasn't sure if they had become anything yet, wasn't even sure if she should ask, but she hoped Dani could be happy here. Maybe she'd find someone for herself too. That'd be nice. To experience genuine love for once. Nothing like the false situations she had been in before.

When Lucia was 15, she had her first proper boyfriend. His name was Louis. He was sweet, if a little handsy, but he didn't care all that much about Lucia. He liked the fact he could say he had a girlfriend, but not so much who the girlfriend was. It didn't really affect her, which was the first sign they weren't exactly soulmates, so they broke up after a couple of weeks. That was all.

After that, she had 2 more boyfriends to get her to where she is today. Patrick: the one that Dani had insulted to high end because she heard him call Lucia a whore during an argument. He had practically ran out the door when the Myers sisters had teamed up against him. The other was Andrew.

Andrew was the one that hurt the most. At the beginning, Lucia was infatuated with the guy. He was tall, with blonde curls and bright forest green eyes that she got lost in. One look from the guy and she was weak in the knees. And in turn, Andrew was what neither of the other boys had ever been. He was attentive. He was there for her because he wanted to be, not because he needed anything. He was perfect at the start.

They had been together for a couple of months before his messages became blunter and more sparse, each one coming in an hour later than the last. The limited contact was one thing, something she could've just brushed under the rug, but the pair of another girl's underwear in his bed was something she couldn't ignore. They argued for hours that day; Lucia determined to get every detail to put her mind at ease. He had been cheating on her since a week into their relationship. He was not perfect. He was not her soulmate. He was not the man she was going to marry. He was a liar.

She didn't want to tell Dani what actually happened, but when the girl paid her sister a visit and was greeted with her curled up in the centre of her queen-sized bed, her eyes red and puffy, there was no hiding the truth. The hot-headed sibling didn't shoot off like she expected though. She climbed into the bed beside her and put on some cheesy horror movie, the furthest thing from love she could think of.