Chapter 45

FRANCE POV

When door creaked open after I pull it, and in stumbled, a faint scent of alcohol trailing behind me as I can smell it.

The air in the room was thick with tension as Mama anxiously awaited me return from another night of clubbing.

The soft hum of the clock on the wall seemed to intensify with each passing moment, marking the time I was out, and Mama concern deepened.

Her eyes were glassy, movements unsteady, and it was evident she had indulged more than she should have.

Mama stern gaze met mine in intoxicated one, disappointment etched across her face.

"France, ano ba 'to? Hindi ba't sabi ko na ingatan mo ang sarili mo?" Mama's voice, a mix of motherly concern and frustration, echoed in the room.

With a nonchalant shrug, I attempted to downplay the situation.

"Chill, Mom. We were just having fun."

Mama, however, wasn't buying it.

"Fun? Ang 'fun' na 'yan ay maaaring maging peligroso. Hindi mo ba naiintindihan ang mga sinasabi ko sa'yo?"

Rolled eyes, I dismissed my mother's words.

"Relax, okay? It's not a big deal."

I can see that Mama Laura's patience wore thin as she retorted.

"Hindi 'to biro, France! May mga bagay tayong dapat bigyan ng importansya. Hindi mo dapat binabalewala ang mga paalala ko."

The atmosphere in the room became charged with tension, each word escalating the argument.

"Bakit parang feeling mo kailangan mo laging makialam? Hindi na ako bata, Ma," I shot back, tone defensive.

Undeterred, Mama Laura maintained her composure, countering.

"Hindi ito tungkol sa pagiging bata o matanda. Tungkol ito sa responsibilidad at pagpapakita ng respeto sa sarili at sa pamilya."

The heat of the argument intensified, Mama Laura pleading.

"Gusto ko lang na maging maayos ka, France. Ayokong malagay ka ulit sa alanganin. Mahal kita, at 'yun ang dahilan kung bakit ako nag-aalala."

I finally realized the gravity of the situation, softened a bit. "Fine, Mom. I'll be more careful next time," I mumbled, a hint of remorse in my voice.

Mama sighed, her concern still evident. "Hindi ito para sa akin, France. Para ito sa'yo at sa kinabukasan mo. Sana maintindihan mo 'yon." The weight of my mother's worry lingered in the room, as Mama hoped her words would resonate and guide for me toward a safer path.

The room seemed to shrink as the tension lingered, the weight of Mama's concern palpable.

I till somewhat defiant, slumped onto the couch, attempting to brush off the gravity of the situation. The low hum of the clock underscored the uneasy silence that followed.

Mama not one to back down, took a deep breath before continuing, her voice laced with a mix of frustration and genuine care.

"Hindi ito para sakin, France. Alam mo bang masakit para sa isang ina ang makita ang anak na naglalakbay sa mga landas na puro kapahamakan?"

I now seated but still visibly affected by the alcohol, met my mother's gaze. The air was thick with unspoken emotions as Mama pressed on.

"Gusto ko lang na maging maayos ka, at hindi lang para sa sarili mo, kundi para sa aming pamilya."

A moment of silence hung in the air, broken only by the distant sounds of the city outside.

Mama Laura's maternal instincts fueled her next words, "Iniisip mo ba ang mga pangarap namin para sayo? Hindi ka basta-basta, France. May potensyal ka, at ayokong masayang 'yun sa mga bagay na pwede mong iwasan."