18

Chapter Eighteen

Landon

Saturday came and I spent most of the day stewing over Levi, J, and Micah's words from the previous night. I hadn't talked to any of them since I stormed out.

I was a dick and I know that, bringing up Levi's shit with Tessa... Yeah, that was a low blow no matter how bad I've been hurting over Leah. I never should have thrown that shit in his face. I'll stop by after my date tonight and apologize. Hopefully, he's cooled off enough by then to hear me out.

When I'm not sulking over my fight with the guys, I'm trying to convince myself that my plan is solid. Tessa, Char, and Colin all know my date is tonight. It makes sense that Leah would know too.

While I'm out with Claire, Leah can sit in her apartment and wonder how my date is going. She can wallow for a while thinking I've moved on, and hopefully, if all goes as planned, she'll reach out. When she does, I'll answer and listen to her admit she's not over me, that it hurt to know I was out with someone who wasn't her. And we'll rekindle what we once had.

Or none of that will happen, Leah and I will be officially over. That thought fucking sucks. At least there's still Claire... Still a win-win, right?

Except this whole thing could blow up in your face and Leah and Claire will think you're a dick for going through with it. Leah will never speak to you again. Claire will think you're an ass for using her to make Leah jealous. Then, you'll lose them both and there goes any silver lining to this weak ass plan.

My stomach churned at the thought. There was still time to call this off. But Dickhead Landon was so convinced that this was the only way to show Leah her true feelings that he just let everything play out.

~

I picked Claire up and drove to the restaurant. It was a nice night, perfect for sitting out under the stars and sharing a romantic meal with someone. Our hostess showed us to one of the outdoor tables and handed us our menus.

It was a gorgeous night and Claire looked incredible in her blue sundress. Everything so far screamed perfect romantic evening. But something just didn't feel right. Something was missing. I couldn't shake the feeling of something just being off.

If Claire noticed my mood, she didn't let on. We talked and laughed, got to know each other over appetizers and drinks while we waited for our food. Even with the easy conversation I was having with my pretty date, my stomach wanted to turn in on itself.

I wanted to puke and not in the I really like this chick, I'm so nervous kind of way. I couldn't shake it. Not through dinner or drink number two. No smile from Claire or swig of my bourbon could ease the strange feeling inside me.

I was glad the date was almost over. I just had to make it through dessert, get the check, take Claire home, and that was that. I only hoped Leah seeing pictures from tonight of me and Claire at this romantic spot would work my plan in my favor. If not, I didn't know what to do. Clearly, my chemistry with Claire wasn't enough to make me forget about Leah. And that really sucked.

If my plan backfires and Leah really is over me, then I don't know what to do. Originally, I figured I'd just move on with Claire, or try to. But that's obviously not an option. She's great and all, but she's not doing anything for me. Spending time with her doesn't make my heart race and my adrenaline kick up.

It's just not the same because she's not...

"Leah." My breath hitches as I see her. She's just on the outside of the patio, carrying a take-out bag from her favorite burrito shop.