24

Chapter Twenty-Four

Landon

I leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to Leah's lips. The look she was giving me made me want to do so much more, but I knew we couldn't. We agreed to take things slow this time, and I wasn't about to screw that up.

Not this time.

It was hard to stop myself from giving in when she started showing signs that she wanted more. That she wanted us naked and writhing on her couch, but I knew I had to stop. If I hadn't slowed things down when I did, we would have crossed that line and I would have showed her I wasn't any better than I was the first time around.

She would have had regrets and I would have felt like shit afterward because I'd lose her all over again.

That wasn't a risk I was willing to take. So, I pushed her away and gave her what I could- a promise for better things to come.

I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but I'm willing to give it a shot if it means I can impress her. If I can show her there's more to me than a good time in bed, I'm confident we can make our relationship last. We can have something substantial like J and Char have, like Levi and Tessa, and Micah and Colin have.

I want that. With Leah.

I'd gladly take months of blue balls if it means that's the outcome. She's worth it. I just need to prove to her that I am too.

When she settles into my chest, I start to relax, letting myself enjoy the moment. As I rub her back, she melts into the touch, nestling her nose against my neck.

Just when I think she's fallen asleep, she murmurs against my skin, "I never imagined you'd be my dream guy, Landon. I'm so glad you proved me wrong."

Warmth fills my chest as my lips curl into a wide grin. She called me her dream guy. Holy shit.

The self-confident part of me preens at the idea. Of course, I love hearing it. I mean, she's the only person I've felt this way about and to hear her say I'm that guy for her- fuck does it feel good.

"I gotta do what I can to impress my girl," I tell her. "Show her how awesome I am so she wants me to stick around."

Her finger traces the lines of my chest, sending goosebumps down my spine as she responds, "You impress me more and more every day, Landon. Just when I think you can't get any more attractive, you say or do something sweet and make me fall that much harder for you."

Leah's voice gets quieter and quieter with every word, but I hear the last ones louder than the rest.

She's falling for me.

Her admission hits me like a ton of bricks, knocking the wind right out of me. She's falling for me, and I can't describe the joy that makes me feel.

The conversation we had earlier- the one about me professing my undying love- yeah, that's not far off. I think I knew a long time ago that she was it for me, but knowing she feels something similar...

I just might be the luckiest man on the planet.

Leah Banks is falling for me.

And I have every intention of catching her and never letting her go.

~

Tonight, I'm treating Leah to a date night. She's supposed to meet me here at the rink later and I can't wait. I hope she likes what I have planned. It's not like I've done this kind of thing before. So, I have no baseline to go off for this.