10

Chapter Ten

Landon

The only thing keeping me sane lately was work. After handing over a signed contract for the promotion I was offered, things moved fast and furious. I had to apply for my master's program and train with my supervisor to prepare for my future role with the team.

It was a lot to focus on and I was stoked to have the distraction. My personal life was a mess. Leah wasn't speaking to me, not for my lack of trying. I reached out several times, asking her to just talk to me, to hear me out. But she wasn't interested. I could feel the distance between us growing. It hurt.

How am I supposed to fix this, to tell her what I need to if she won't give me the time of day?

I hoped I could pull her aside one night when Jason invited everyone over a few nights ago. Everyone was supposed to be there. And everyone was- everyone but Leah and Colin.

When I asked where they were, Micah told me they decided last minute to take a road trip to visit some new shopping center an hour away. He said he thought they'd be back in time to stop by for a drink or two.

They never showed.

~

Levi invited J, Micah, and me over for poker one night. I accepted, thinking it would take my mind off everything. Man, was I delusional. I was still sulking about Leah, wondering if I'd ever get the chance to explain things to her. I hardly heard anything the guys were saying all night.

J and Micah offered to pick up dinner, leaving me and Levi behind. "You okay, man? You've been off all night."

I look up to find Levi staring at me as he takes another sip from the bottle in his hand. I instinctively shook my head. "All good, brother."

He knew it was a lie, but he didn't push for more information. I kicked myself for not telling him the truth. If anyone knew what I was going through right now, it'd be him. After his war with Tessa, he changed. He was hurting every second they were on bad terms, became a shell of his former self until he won her back.

Not that I noticed right away. Back then I was still very self-interested, more worried about rating chicks than dating them. And definitely not worried about the love lives of my friends. I'm ashamed of it now, maybe if I'd paid more attention, I could have helped sooner. Talked him off the ledge he was standing on and help him mend things with his girl.

If anyone could relate to my situation, it was him. I took a long swig before facing him again. "Actually..."

"I'm not doing so great, man," I admitted.

"What's going on?"

"Uh, well," I scratched the back of my head, hoping the words would spill out. "It's this girl I'm seeing- or was seeing..."

Levi waited patiently, watching me, waiting for me to share more.

"Things are real messed up, man. I- I don't know how to fix things with her." My hand dragged through my hair with frustration. "How'd you do it with Tessa?"

Levi winced at the question. I felt bad, the memories from that time in their lives must still sting. Not knowing if she'd ever forgive him, having to live each day thinking things were over, that they'd never get a second chance. It was everything I was worried about with Leah, and it must have shown on my face.

After a second, Levi took a deep breath. "I wasted a lot of time being angry, not communicating with her to figure anything out. By the time I pulled my head out of my ass and found out what really happened that night, it was almost too late. I almost lost her for good."

He got quiet and a look of sadness showed on his face. He was reliving it, the pain of nearly losing her, the fear he felt when he thought he'd lost his chance. He shook his head. "You need to talk it out, dude. Whatever it takes to get her to hear you out, do it. If you don't, you may never get another chance."

That was my biggest fear. All I wanted was another chance. One more shot to make things right, but Leah wasn't speaking to me, wasn't taking my calls, or returning my texts.

"What if she won't talk to me?" I asked.

"You may have to do what I did. Go to her in person, talk face-to-face, and lay everything bare."

I nodded. "And if she tells me to fuck off?"

Levi grimaced, but quickly recovered. "Then, you give her space. It won't be easy, but if she asks for that, you have to respect it. Giver her time, and if it was meant to be, she'll reach out to you. It'll hurt like hell, but at least you can say you tried."

I sat back in the couch, letting Levi's advice sink in. I thought seriously about ditching the guys and driving straight to Leah's to try to convince her to talk to me, but I had no idea what to say. When I talk to her, I have to be prepared, I have to know what will come out of my mouth before I go to her. I can't risk digging my hole deeper because of some stupid comment from my stress-rattled brain.

The room was quiet until Levi gave me one last piece of advice. "It's worth it. If she'll hear you out, if she comes around. Even if she needs some space at first. It's all worth it for the right woman. Trust me."

He looked away, smiling when his gaze landed on a picture on the mantle. It was recent, him and Tessa wrapped in a warm embrace, grinning widely at each other. There was nothing but love in their eyes. They made it through some tough times, saw the best and worst of each other, and still found their way back to one another in the end.

I wanted that with Leah. To have her look at me the way Tess looks at Levi- that would make my entire life. I'd be the happiest suck on the planet. I just hoped she'd hear me out. And I prayed it wasn't too late to fix things between us.