{2}

The best day of Bailey Smith's life started out horribly.

She was awoken by muttering voices. Someone dropped things that banged loudly against the floor. She could hear Simon yelling at them for being loud near her room. Then, he knocked on Bailey's door and apologized before ushering the others away from her room.

She then rolled out of bed, washed her face, and sat at her piano for the next couple of hours.

"Lovebug? Are you awake, my dear?" her father asked as he poked his head in the room.

Bailey rolled her eyes. "Knock."

Negan smiled and tapped his knuckles on her door to which Bailey scoffed at.

"Have you been brought your breakfast yet?" he asked, closing the door behind himself.

"Yeah," she lied.

"Simon told me about your disturbing morning. I can assure that the matter has been dealt with," Negan said and leaned on her piano.

"I thought you had plans today?"

Negan visibly tensed. But, he shoved it aside in favor of faking a smile for his beloved daughter.

"I do. I won't be back until tomorrow or so.. maybe later."

"Can I go?"

Negan shook his head. "Absolutely not. Things are too dangerous for you to be outside of these fences."

"Wouldn't be so bad if you let me train to take care of myself instead of keep me locked in this place like some princess in a castle."

"Keeping you here is how I keep you alive, Bug. You know this."

Bailey stood up and walked away from her father. She didn't have anywhere to go for the most part. She collapsed on her couch and turned on the gaming system.

Negan knew that it was cruel to keep Bailey locked indoors all day, every day of her life.

But, the last time he agreed to let her come with him on a run, they returned home to the matriarch of the family- Lucille Smith having committed suicide in her bed.

Lucille left notes behind for her husband and daughter. In Negan's letter, Lucille begged him to keep Bailey alive no matter the cost. Cancer and suicide took Lucille and she reminded Negan in the letter that her ending was inevitable. But, Bailey was young and vulnerable.. Negan had to protect her and keep her alive. And he was beyond determined to keep his daughter, the last piece of Lucille, safe.

This thing with the people of Alexandria was getting out of hand. They attacked one of t he outposts out of nowhere. They nearly killed Dwight and a few others. It was only a matter of time until they found The Sanctuary.

Negan knew that he had to end this before it truly started. Sure, he was upset he lost many lives.. but Bailey needed to be protected l. The other Saviors and workers were in danger.

Negan hadn't had a proper meeting with the people of Alexandria, namely their leader- Rick. He had to make a lasting first impression and nip this problem in the bud before more lives are lost.

The sounds of Bailey's video game filled the room and Negan watched the back of her head.

A million things could go wrong at the sight of the plan. They might not break as easily as others like Hilltop and Kingdom. Some might try to follow them back home.. back to Bailey.

"How about I get Fat Joey to bring you to another outpost for a few days?"

The Pac-Man on the screen died and Bailey turned around, knees on the couch as she stared at Negan.

"What?" she asked.

"I have a lot of work to do and most of the guys here are coming with me.. even Simon.. so, I'd hate for you to be lonely. You can shack up at Gavin's outpost.. keep the workers in line for your old man."

Bailey eyes her father suspiciously. "Is this some test?"

"Why would I test you?"

A tense moment passes between them.

Bailey never saw the full picture on the Saviors. She just knew that Negan found people and protected him. Then, those people were so grateful that they devoted their lives to him.

She didn't need to be close to the plans happening today.

"Pack some bags.. You should head out before lunch so you can eat there."

Bailey flings herself over the back of the couch. Negan's eyes light up, thinking she was about to hug him. He opens his arms to her and she ducks under them in favor of running to her closet. Negan sighs but keeps a smile on his face as Bailey drags bags out of her closet.

"I'll make sure your ride is ready," Negan says. "Don't forget sunscreen."

Bailey waves him off. Negan leaves the room and picks up his baseball bat that was leaning on the wall just outside the door. He sets it on his shoulder and walks down the hall with the weight of the world on his chest.