{18}

"Daryl!" Negan called out from the window.

Bailey picked herself up and poked her head out from behind Negan.

"You seem worried, so I'm taking the kid home," Negan told Daryl.

Daryl's eyes locked with Bailey's as he took in her new look. Then, he looked at Negan. "If you do anything to him-"

"Dwight!" Negan called, cutting Daryl off. "Daryl needs a time out. Put him back in his box for a little while."

This was her only chance.

Bailey put on a fake smile and reached out to Daryl. She climbed over Negan's lap, cutting off his vision to Daryl. She had the key to his cell in her palm, sliding it along her thumb.

"This one might be cute if he didn't look so greasy," Bailey noted.

She pinched Daryl's cheek and wriggled his face around. Daryl tried to pull away in disgust, but she held him tighter. Discreet to everyone around, she shoved the key from her thumb into Daryl's mouth. Daryl hesitated and eyed her cautiously.

"Careful, Bug," Negan scolded lightly. "He won't hurt you, but he might bite. Think our friend here has rabies."

Bailey pushed out a fake giggle and withdrew herself back into the truck. Negan looked at Daryl and laughed before holding his hand up and flipping Daryl off.

Daryl's eyes met Bailey's once again, confused. He moved the key around in his mouth and pushed it under his tongue just as Dwight grabbed him and dragged him back inside.

Bailey sat back in her seat and took a breath of relief, disguising it as boredom.

"Do you really want that one, Bug?" Negan asked once the truck started to move. "I can make him yours.. But, I have some things to work out first."

Bailey felt nauseous. Negan had multiple wives.. she didn't know that he would do the same for her if she asked.

"He's a tough guy.. But, he's a loose cannon," Negan added. "I want you to be happy and safe.. I'm not sure if he's the one."

"We'll see," she said, if only to get rid of the topic. "I was just playing with him."

--

Bailey stuck close to DJ, on Negan's orders that DJ protect her, when they arrived at Alexandria.

"See anything you want?" DJ asked.

Bailey scoffed. "I'm not window shopping."

DJ shrugged as Bailey looked around the community. "It's all yours, anyway."

Bailey would have been lying if she said outright that she didn't want what Alexandria had. The houses were.. houses. She couldn't recall the last time she saw a normal house. Maybe her own before it burned. It seemed so normal.

But, when she looked closer, she saw the fear and anger in the people's eyes. They looked at her like she was going to slaughter them. Even when she tried to give a warm smile, they cringed and scurried away.

Alexandria felt like a different world compared to the one Bailey knew.

Sure, she had the nicest bedroom of the entire Sanctuary, Negan made sure of that. She had her own bathroom. Her own cooks. Her own piano. Video games. Movies.

But, Alexandria didn't feel like that. It wasn't perfect. But, it wasn't the grungy prison that the Sanctuary was outside of Bailey's bedroom door.

She liked the water that ran through the center of the community. It was peaceful. She found a little gazebo that she really liked. She sat down on the beach and enjoyed the fresh air. It was even a different air compared to the Sanctuary.

DJ stood guard at the doorway and allowed her a bit of space. She shed the leather jacket in favor of her tank top and soaked in the relaxing aura.

As she sat under the wooden hut, she wondered if Daryl had escaped yet. She gave Sherry the note to Daryl and a motorcycle key to slide under his door when the time was right.

She kept the letter simple and made sure it wouldn't be able to be traced back to her. But, she really hoped Daryl was okay. Safe. Hopefully, he had somewhere to hide out while the Saviors were at Alexandria. If he walked through the gates and Negan was still here, that would ruin the entire plan Bailey had set up. The sneak tactics and mission would have been for nothing.

The wind blew jus enough to make the trees move and wave in the wind. Bailey took in the smell of fresh air, natural water, and summertime. For the first time in a long time, she felt comfortable and relaxed. Safe and optimistic.

She fell asleep in the little gazebo with a smile on her face.

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

this is the first bit of anything I've been able to write in my lil depression rut 🕺🕺