{3}

"Sasha went to get some shut-eye. I'm glad to have the help," Abraham noted.

"Maggie wanted extra eyes on guard," Lucas explained. "I'm kinda just doing whatever she tells me to do."

"Sucks ass.. what she and Carol went through."

"She hasn't talked about it much. I think she's just channeling it all to making sure it doesn't happen again. Any word on Carol?"

"Rick and Morgan went out to look. By the looks of that note, though.. she's long gone."

"Why do you say that?"

"She can't do this anymore. Killing, I mean. I can't say that I've been on that side.. but, I definitely know what its like to only want to kill." Abraham notices the hesitance on Lucas' face. "Have you been down either road?"

"I haven't even taken a human life yet," Lucas admits. "Glenn hyung.. he wouldn't let me. Even through all the wars and fights."

"You know the day will come eventually, right?"

Lucas thought about the journey they'd been on. From escaping Atalanta, the quarry camp, CDC, the farm, the prison, and everything in between. He thought about the horrible people they've encountered like the Governor, those Claimers, and Gareth. 

"You know how Nicholas got Noah killed a couple of months ago?"

"Still keeps me up," Abraham admitted.

"Afterward, Nicholas lured Glenn out of the walls. Shot him in the shoulder. Glenn had the gun on his head.." Lucas mimics a gun with his hand and points to his forehead. "Had him.. Could've done it."

"I still wonder why he didn't."

"Because Nicholas tried to change after. He saved us when we were trapped in that pet store. He killed himself to try and save Glenn. He changed."

"I think I'm too paranoid to keep taking chances on people changing for the better after they've royally screwed up. Glenn's a better man than me. Always has been."

Abraham patted Lucas' shoulder. Despite that Lucas was younger than the bigger man, they still stood eye to eye from Lucas' height. 

"And he's bringing you up just the same. Better man," Abraham added.

"I hate that the burdens of the heavy shit is on others' shoulders. You, Rick, Michonne, hell even Maggie."

"We can carry the weight of the things we've done. We need people like you to keep us coming back before we jump off that cliff edge. Remind us what we're fighting for."

"You think that's why Carol left? To jump off the cliff?"

"I sure hope not."

Lucas pointed at the car arriving. He could tell it was one of theirs and when its close, he could see Rick in the driver's seat.

"There's our trusted leader," Abraham grunted and unlatched the gate.

"He's alone," Lucas took note of. "No Morgan. No Carol."

"And no van, either," Abraham added, mostly to himself.

Rick drove the car inside and Lucas pushed the gate closed again. 

"I should check on Maggie," Lucas decided. "Now that Rick's here, maybe things will calm down."

"Just remember, man. People like you keep us afloat. We'll just make all the assholes that threaten our safety pay for what they do. You don't gotta worry or sleep with one eye open."

Lucas walked backward and shot a grin at Abraham. "Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours?"

"And in between it all, we'll let the assholes in the world suck our nuts."

Lucas' nose wrinkles at the imagery. "Yeah, maybe just your nuts, man."

Abraham sent a goofy salute to  Lucas. Lucas scoffed and shook his head before he made his way back to his house. On the way there, he informed Carl that Rick was back. 

He was just down the street from his home when Enid bursted through the doors, all but flinging herself off the porch.

"Help! Help!" Enid cried, panicked and in tears.

"Enid?" Lucas questioned and jogged over to the younger girl.

"Lucas! Help! It's Maggie!"

--

Bailey patted her thighs and swayed her head to the music on the radio. 

"Are you excited to stay at my post?" Gavin asked from the passenger seat- Fat Joey was driving.

"Beats staring at the same walls all day," she admitted, letting her eyes survey the scenery that passed by. 

"I bet," Gavin said. "We got you a spot set up already. The boys at the post have been working hard to make it as comfortable for you as possible."

"You're not gonna lock me in another room, right?"

"Of course not. You have full access to the entire outpost, just don't go outta the fences."

Bailey decided that's fair. Especially when Fat Joey drove past a biter that reached for the car.

"Dad never lets me out.. What changed? What work does he have today?"

Gavin and Fat Joey traded a look. They knew of the things Negan was capable of. And by the sounds of the plans, they knew that today was more brutal and punishing than anything from the past.

"It's dangerous. Hard to explain. But, he'll be safe. He's just.. overseeing the situation," Gavin said.

Bailey drew her legs up, putting her knees in the middle of Gavin's seat. He doesn't say anything about the annoyance. He treasured being able to walk and speak without a swollen face- he didn't dare scold her.

Bailey was bored. But, she was happy. For the first time in a long, long time.. she was outside. She had a resemblance of freedom.