{8}

Lucas heard that your life flashes before your eyes when you die.

He didn't realize that the memories with your loved ones flashed before your eyes when you watched them die, too. The first time he had that happen, they were trapped behind a gate and forced to watch the Governor kill Hershel Greene. He remembered the long talks Hershel had with him. The way Hershel tended to his wounds, even if it was over something stupid.

Lucas tugged Maggie closer before Negan swung Lucille. He made sure to try and block her eyes from the view, despite his own heart climbing out of his throat from being suffocated by the pain in his chest.

He thought about how Abraham rolled up out of nowhere on the side of the road. Lucas was trying to wake Glenn up after Glenn had passed out on the side of the road. That military truck felt like a miracle after the fight at the prison.

Rosita gasped as the bat cracked down on Abraham's head. Sasha cried out. Michonne, who was previously staring at Negan with a glare, flinched and looked away.

"Suck.. my.. nuts.." Abraham growled his final words to Negan.

Lucas winced when the bat hit Abraham once again.

He saw Abraham teaching him how to clean an automatic gun. He heard Abraham snoring from the other side of the barn after the horrible storm came through. He felt Abraham's hand on his chest, pulling him to his feet when he'd gotten knocked over by a walker.

It was the small things that Lucas saw as Negan murdered Abraham.

His eyes. The wrinkles on his face. His calloused hands. His burly voice. The things he said to make others laugh and feel uncomfortable all at the same time.

Maggie trembled in Lucas' arms and that is what brought him back down from the memories.

"Sweetheart.." Negan said, lowering Lucille down to Rosita's face. "Lay your eyes on this."

Just a little more pushing.. Negan almost had his exact plan come to light.

"Were you together?" Negan poked, knowing he had the puzzle fit together. "That sucks. If you were, you should know, there was a reason for all this. Red- and hell he was, is, and will ever be 'Red'.. He just took one, or six, or seven for the team!"

Rosita gasped in a choked sob. She couldn't look. She wasn't even comprehending that Negan was talking to her, to begin with.

"Take a damn look!" Negan shouted, shoving Lucille in Rosita's face again.

Daryl growled and jumped to his feet. Before anyone could react, Daryl punched Negan across the face. He reached for the leader for more blows, but he was tackled to the ground by Saviors.

"Daryl!" Rick called, about to also get up.

"No!" Negan screamed at Rick, pointing Lucille at him. Rick held his hands to his sides and eased back down.

Negan couldn't hide the smile on his face. He got his way. He won. He made someone snap.. and now, he got to fulfill his wishes.

"You want me to do it? Right here?" Dwight offered and pointed Daryl's own crossbow at the man on the ground.

"No.." Negan pulled Daryl's hair out of his face. He smiled again. He was elated at his victory. "No, you don't kill that. Not until you try it a little."

Daryl is brought back to his spot. Rosita momentarily cups his hand in hers, a silent plea that he also stay safe. Daryl was like a brother to her. She couldn't lose him- especially after all they've been through recently.

"That's not how it works. I already told you people- the first one's free.. Then, what'd I say? I said that I would shut that shit down."

Lucas looked up to meet Negan's eyes. A cold chill ran up his spine as Negan smiled at the younger man with a knowing look.