{16}

Lucas was caught off guard as he walked into the trailer for dinner.

"Enid," he greeted. "Hey."

"Hey," she said with a smile. She set aside her pot holders and gave him a hug.

"What.. how did you get here?" he asked, rubbing her back.

"Long walk. But, it was worth it," she lied. "I wanted to help. I was worried."

He patted the short girl on the head and sat at the table with Maggie. He avoided Maggie's eyes, still recalling the bruises on her body that he left.

"I'm making dinner. I hope it's okay," Enid added, turning back to continue cooking.

"Yeah, of course. Sasha went to clean up the graves. She'll be here in a few."

"Have you ate today?" Enid wondered. "Maggie said she had a sandwich, but.. I'm making extra."

"No. No, I haven't ate," Lucas admitted. "The Saviors came by.. Things were tense, but nothing happened."

"I think Jesus finally got through to Gregory," Maggie noted. "We're staying here now."

"Staying? Like.. forever?" Enid asked.

"I have to stay for the rest of my pregnancy. But, you all are free to leave," Maggie assured. "Doctor Carson just wants me close in case something goes wrong again."

Enid shook her head. "I didn't know what to do when you were in pain. I just ran outside screaming for help. Lucas was the first one I saw."

Enid sat some plates and bowls on the table. Lucas helps out and divides them out for four people.

Maggie sighed at the memory of the scare. "Doctor Carson said it was more than likely because of what Carol and I went through. Now, I just wish I didn't push as hard when we were taken."

"You did what you had to do and the baby is okay now," Enid comforted. "Who knows what those people could've done if they got away."

Lucas shuffled in his seat. He could imagine the things they would've done. If they were half as bad as Negan..

"How'd Doctor Carson know about that?" Enid wondered.

"I had some marks from the fight," Maggie answered.

Lucas didn't feel like eating anymore.

Marks. Bruises. Like the ones he put on Maggie.

He stood up from his chair.

"Where are you going?" Enid asked. "Dinner's almost ready."

"I uh.. I'm gonna take a walk," Lucas said. "I'll make something later. Thanks, though, Enid."

As Lucas rounded the table to leave the trailer, Maggie grabbed his wrist.

"Don't do this," Maggie pleaded. "Don't pull away because you blame yourself. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I'm just taking a walk," he lied.

Maggie was already holding Glenn's pocket watch in her other hand. She sighed and put it in Lucas' hand. His face scrunched in confusion.

"Take a walk. Clear your head. Find your way. Use that to help you," Maggie urged. "Because I can't lose you right now. Especially not to yourself."

Lucas left the trailer and Enid chased after him, making sure the door was closed so Maggie couldn't hear.

"If I tell you something, will it stay between us?" Enid asked.

"Depends.." Lucas said.

Enid sighed and turned around. Lucas grabbed her shoulder before she made it to the steps.