Chapter 2

Jack sat on the windowsill, watching the yetis and elves quickly put finishing touches on toys and wrapping them up for Christmas. He just had his blood drawn for the first time, not particularly liking the experience (of course it’s better than being stabbed by a fox demon). He didn’t like waiting in the infirmary, or being worried so much about. Well, it’s not that he didn’t like it; he just wasn’t used to it. So, he waited by the window, drawing pictures on the glass with his powers.

“Jack, where are you?” North’s big voice bellowed down the hall. The yetis cleared the way for the original four guardians. Jack got up to meet them. “There you are. How are you feeling?”

“Fine. I really don’t feel any pain or anything.” He looked down at his sweatshirt, seeing the holes that the spirit made with her nails. “I need to get a new shirt, though.” He looked at Sandy and Tooth. “You two didn’t have to come here. I’m okay, really.”

“Don’t be silly, Jack. When one of us is in danger, we help, because we’re friends.” Tooth said sweetly. Sandy agreed, nodding proudly.

“Am I in danger?” The teen asked.

“Let’s go talk somewhere quiet.” The Russian man said.

:::

The five were now in North’s office. “So, is there something wrong?”

“We know what kind of creature it was.” North opened a book resting on his desk, turning a few pages before finding what he was looking for. “It was a kitsune-onna, a female fox spirit.”

“We know already.” Bunnymund said.

“It says here,” The toy-maker ignored the rabbit. “That this spirit takes the form of a woman and seduces men in order to drink their blood.” He seemed to be getting carried away in the story.

“The only one who took my blood was you.” Jack said. “Though she did seem to like me.”

“Maybe she marked him?” Tooth seemed to become more concerned.

“You mean like, saving me for later?” The winter spirit was getting grossed out.

“It doesn’t say anything like that here.” North muttered, reading it over again.

“Does that damn book say anything useful?” Bunny growled.

“It says that such creatures can be kind and helpful, but also like to play tricks.” North looked up from the book. “And they can be good or evil.”

“That’s really vague.” Jack leaned against his staff. “What about my blood?”

“Ah yes, well…” The huge man wiped his hands down his beard. “We didn’t find anything particularly wrong…”

“What?” They all said angrily in unison, including a question mark from Sandy.

“But, because these creatures are mischievous and not knowing what list they’re on…” He flashed his tattoos. “Then we should keep eyes on Jack.” They all sighed.

“I agree.” Tooth held her tiny fist in the air. “Who knows what that fox did to Jack?”

“Good, it’s decided!” North put an arm around Jack’s shoulders. “Jack, you may stay here. I will show you the guest room.”

“Uh… sure. Thanks.” The teen was still getting used to all this kindness. He appreciated it, naturally, but it wasn’t quite what he wanted. A certain bunny didn’t seem all that concerned, in fact, he sounded downright impatient during the meeting they just had. Ugh, dammit, I’m thinking weird thoughts again.