Quest of Rome

Valen found the others waiting for him just outside the forum. He filled them in on what had transpired after they had left, resulting in shouts of protest from both Hazel and Frank.

"Guys," he raised his arms placatingly, "it'll be fine. Once Octavian is proven guilty, that punishment will be null."

Besides, I'm not going to be sticking around to become a full member anyway.

"If he's proven guilty," Hazel muttered angrily. "That snake will make sure he's not caught."

Valen shrugged, "He can't fool the judges of the underworld."

"What?"

"Anyway," he turned to Percy, "Reyna wants us in the Principia ASAP."

Percy blinked in surprise, "Just you and me?"

Valen nodded, "Yeah, just the two of us."

"Oh, alright then." he said, turning to the others. "I'll see you guys later."

Once outside the Pomerian line, Valen's weapons shot out of his storage ring, and he put them back in their rightful place. He hated the idea of giving Terminus his weapons. He would rather measure the grass again.

They had barely stepped inside the Principia when Reyna stomped in.

"Get seated," she growled. "You leave after lunch. We have a lot to discuss."

She plunked down her dagger so hard, the jelly-bean bowl rattled. Aurum and Argentum took their posts on her left and right and fixed their ruby eyes on the two of them.

Percy looked worried, wondering if he'd done something wrong.

"It's the meetings," Valen said, as if having read his mind. "They always drive her mad."

Reyna scowled. "I hate senate meetings. When Octavian gets talking..."

Percy nodded. "You're a warrior. Octavian is a talker. Put him in front of the Senate, and suddenly he becomes the powerful one."

She narrowed her eyes. "You're smarter than you look."

"Gee, thanks. I hear Octavian might get elected praetor, assuming the camp survives that long."

"If he becomes a Praetor, then we might as well leave," Valen scoffed. "He hates me, and is suspicious of you."

"Which brings us to the subject of doomsday," Reyna said, ignoring Valen, "and how you might help prevent it. But before I place the fate of Camp Jupiter in your hands, we need to get a few things straight."

She sat down and put a ring on the table—a band of silver etched with a sword-and-torch design, like Reyna's tattoo. "Do you know what this is?"

"The sign of your mom," Percy said. "The...uh, war goddess."

"Bellona," Valen added.

Reyna scrutinized him carefully. "You don't remember where you saw this ring before? You really don't remember me or my sister, Hylla?"

Percy shook his head. "I'm sorry."

"It would've been four years ago."

"Just before you came to camp."

Reyna frowned. "How did you—?"

"You've got four stripes on your tattoo. Four years."

Reyna looked at her forearm. "Of course. It seems so long ago. I suppose you wouldn't recall me even if you had your memory. I was just a little girl—one attendant among so many at the spa. But you spoke with my sister, just before you and that other one, Annabeth, destroyed our home.