CHAPTER 9

「 ✦ CHEMISTRY ✦ 」

    JANE STOOD ALONE in the bathroom, washing her hands, she suddenly jumped when she noticed someone standing behind her through the mirror

    JANE STOOD ALONE in the bathroom, washing her hands, she suddenly jumped when she noticed someone standing behind her through the mirror. Her eyes widen in terror, spinning around, and there she sees Mal.

"Hi!" Mal said brightly, happy she could get her alone. "It's Jane, right? I always loved that name. Jane," she said, smiling trying to look less threatening than she already is.

"That's cool," said Jane, breaking her stare and making a beeline for the door.

    Mal obstructed her way. "Don't go!"

    Jane froze in place.

"I guess...I was just kind of hoping to make a friend" said Mal, putting on her most vulnerable voice and putting on a pitiful look as much as she can. "You probably have all the friends you need, though, huh?"

"Hardly," Jane confessed. "Except for Bella, I guess."

    Mal made herself seem surprised in disbelief. "Really? I get Bella; she's a sweetie, but I mean, with your mom being a fairy godmother and headmistress. I mean, not to mention your own, um, I mean, your own"—she looked at Jane, thinking her next words carefully as she tries to find something to say and right now Jane wasn't really much help on the matter—"personality!" She giggled kindly.

"I'd rather be pretty," Jane said honestly. "You've got great hair!" She pointed out.

    Mal stroked her purple locks, and her face brightened with an idea. "You know what? I have just the thing for that." She lifted her spell book and turned through the pages. "It's right...here!" She read from the page. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand-new hair." Mal waves her finger, Jane's head follows along, then as she raise her head, magically, her hair grows to beautiful wavy brown locks. Jane gasped in delight as she examined her new look in the mirror.

"Wow! You almost don't notice your other features anymore!" Mal said, who knew thinking of compliments could be so hard.

"Do my nose!" said Jane, turning to face her with a huge smile on her face.

"Oh, I can't. I wish I could," Mal said, sadly. "I've been practicing, but you know, I can't do really big magic. Not like your mom! With her wand! I mean, one swoosh from that thing and you could probably have whatever features you wanted."

    Jane's smile was then replaced with a frown. "She doesn't use the wand anymore. She believes the real magic is in books, not the spell books. Regular books with history and stuff."

    Mal laughed. "What a rip," she said. "You know, she used magic on Cinderella, who wasn't even her real daughter. Doesn't she love you?" She knows that look, the look of wanting to be something more but due to circumstances, couldn't. And the purple-haired girl knows what buttons to press to trigger that insecurity.