chapter 9 - faking ignorance

[NO ONE'S POV]

he person who has been in the kitchen with you all this time now begins to slowly walk towards you with cautious steps. They're not trying to cause any more trouble now and they are quite worried and nervous by this entire situation. You hear how they're now talking to you.

"Um, can I help you? that sounded like a really bad argument you and hyunjin were having..."

Your voice breaks, and it sounds horse after the screaming. You now begin to cry but hate that you do. Hyunjin called you weak and unlikeable for crying, and now you're doing it again.

"I- I'm okay"

Your vison clear sslightly from my tears and you begin to recognize the person.

It's chan who is right now walking towards you and he seems to have a very worried expression on his face.

"You don't sound like you're ok at all...what happened with hyunjin just now?"

"Be careful with the shards."

It's the only thing you can get out after seeing the small broken pieces of the plate scattered all across the kitchen. Your knees become weak, but you're glad Chan is the one to find you.

Chan's expression immediately softens as he sees how you're now starting to cry. He notices how you're even telling him to be careful about the shards and he begins to crouch down so he can start picking them up. Since he realizes you're not exactly going to be able to say much right now, he begins to talk to you now.

"Don't worry about cleaning this up i can do it. is there something you wanna talk about?"

"Everything."

You simply say not able to get put more. You flinch as I remember you were supposed to have practice now. You quickly try to collect yourself. You just can't get the thing about how men only like you because they pity me out of your head. Hyunjin must have left an impression after all.

"Chan, do you like me?"

Chan's eyes now widen in shock. He reacts very surprised by this sudden question now and he starts to blush a bit.

"w-w-what?!"

Even his voice sounded quite shaky when he replied back to you now.

You don't notice how Chans voice changed. You just cry even more and sink down against the counter. You repeat what you wanted to say again.

"Do you really like me, or do you just pity me?"

Chan's mouth now opens and closes once or twice in shock when you repeat the question a second time. He seems absolutely dumbfounded by the suddenness and bluntness of your question and he seems to have very mixed feelings right now.

"w-well..."

Before he can finish answering or even forming a full reply, a loud yell can be heard coming from outside the kitchen and it's caused by Hyunjin.

You flinch at the yell, immediately noticing it comes from Hyunjin, and you hastily wipe my tears. He can't see you weak like this, you think to yourself. You try to stand up, but your knees are still shaky. You need to calm down first, you remind myself. You sit on the floor and try to calm your breathing.

Chan seems to hear the yelling outside and he quickly hears how hyunjin doesn't seem to be trying to calm down at all.

"Um, is hyunjin okay?"

Chan now looks back at you from where you are on the floor and he notices how you're struggling to stand.

"Why dont you just wait here for a bit? I'll go talk to hyunjin and see if i can settle this between you two, ok?"

"Thank you, chan"

You look over to him and smile a faltering smile. You continue to try yo calm my breathing as Chan heads out the door.

Chan's facial expression becomes a bit more calm and reassured after you say thank you and he then heads out of the kitchen with careful steps. As soon as he leaves the kitchen, Hyunjin can be heard yelling and stomping his feet again just on the other side of the door and you can hear that he's obviously upset and frustrated.

Chan heads over to Hyunjin and he begins to say stuff to hyunjin, which is muffled since you cant really hear anything. Hyunjin is still upset and is quite loud, but chan is definitely trying to calm him down. the voices of the two can be heard in the dormitory for quite a bit as Hyunjin and Chan are having quite a discussion right now.

Chan is telling hyunjin that he needs to calm down and he cant be going on at other people this way. It's hard to tell what Hyunjin is replying back with but he's definitely still quite angry and his shouting can be heard. Changbin seems to be arguing with them as well and he's getting quite loud.

You now decide to get up and listen to their argument by going over to the door and pressing your ear against it.

The loud sounds of hyunjin and chan yelling and bass in their voices get to your ear. You can tell that the argument is now starting to escalate. Changbin tries to say stuff to both Hyunjin and Chan whenever he has a chance but all Hyunjin and Chan do is yell at each other.

You're able to pick up some of the things they are yelling.

"WHAT THE HELL DID CHAN SAY TO ME?! HE NEEDS TO STOP TALKING TO ME LIKE THIS IN FRONT OF EVERYONE NOW"

"I'M ONLY TRYING TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT between you two and you dont seem to be listening to me at all!"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I WONT LISTEN!?! I'M LISTENING, AND WHAT I'M HEARING DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME!"

Chan is now trying to defend you while hyunjin is trying to tell chan to not defend you at all and to stop being biased when chan is trying to remain neutral and calm in this whole argument.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM BEING UNFAIR AND YOU WANT TO REMAIN NEUTRAL! I'm simply just telling you how it truly is!! That idiot is nothing more than a crybaby and everyone needs to know that!"

You listen further and you can hear chan still trying to defend you, even though it is obvious how Hyunjin is getting even more frustrated now.

"You cant simply just go at people and tell them how terrible they are. it doesnt work like that and you know you are in the wrong for doing it. i'm trying to help you right now but you arent letting me at all."

Hyunjin seems to be angry and quite embarrassed from the fact that he's arguing with chan like this in front of others.

You continue to listen and you then hear why hyunjin is so angry about chan defending you.

"WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HER?! DID SHE TELL YOU WHY SHE THINKS I'M MEAN TO HER IN THE FIRST PLACE??"

"She told me things about why she thinks you behave this way. I dont know if it's true or not but i'm still trying to settle this argument between you two."

"AND YOU BELIEVED HER????"

You're confused. Does Hyunjin think you're pretending to not know why he's mad at you? Does he know something you don't? You just wish Hyunjin would talk to anyone about this so you could find out why he hates you so much.

"She's acting completely clueless over what she did. Can't you tell she's faking ignorance?!"

Hyunjin now gets even more frustrated and decides to take some steps over to chan now because he wants to tell chan what you really did in front of everyone else.

"I'm m going to show everyone exactly what she's like."

"Hyunjin, please dont!" That's a deep voice. Maybe from someone else who came downstairs after the argument.

"You cant tell me what i'm supposed to do Felix. I can tell everyone in this entire dormitory exactly what she did to me!"

I can't take it anymore. I press the door handle and stumble out of the kitchen.

"WHAT DID I DO HYUNJIN? PLEASE HYUNJIN TELL ME!" I shout at him.