8| 𝐰𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝

☽ ♞ ☾

☽ ♞ ☾

STEVEN WAS STOOD in his flat, staring into his mirror before he sat on his bed. His mind was reeling. He was undeniably falling for Vera, making him excited and scared. But one thing - technically two - was stopping him from advancing any further.

Marc and Jake.

They deserved to meet the person who would potentially be with Steven and their body. They wanted to meet Vera; they were dying too. Her sweetness and innocent nature called to them like a siren song. They wanted her to know them.

Well, Marc did.

Jake was more hesitant.

Jake thought of himself more as only a protector, not someone to involve himself in Marc and Steven's life, but he couldn't deny he was enticed by the brunette.

"Should I tell her?" Steven asked aloud as if someone would answer him from within the room.

"Do you want to?" Marc's voice popped into his head.

"I - I do." He stuttered, his stomach churning with nervousness.

"You think she'll accept it - us?" Marc continued.

"Will you tell her about Khonshu?" He asked another question.

"Whoa - whoa. Let me just find a way to tell her about us first, mate. . I think she will. ." Steven stopped his alter, who huffed.

Jake was quiet as he normally was, not weighing in on the matter. If it were up to him, he wouldn't tell the woman, no matter how much he wanted to. Jake's life revolved around danger, something he couldn't justify bringing someone else into. He already unwillingly brought Steven into it.

Steven wanted to hear what Jake had to say, but it was hard to get him to communicate. All three were still getting used to each other. Jake lived life alone for so long, doing his job for Khonshu. Steven and Marc had no idea he existed, and he planned on keeping it that way until he screwed it up. He felt guilty most days.

"I'll do it. . I'll do it. I just need to figure out how." He assured them.

"What do you say? Hey love, I really like you, and by the way, I have two other personalities inside my skull that would love to meet you." Steven could imagine Marc's scowl perfectly.

"Eh, something like that. Just gotta find the right time, y'know mate?"

"She's never going to talk to us again," Marc uttered in defeat.

☽ ♞ ☾

Vera held her phone close to her ear as she listened to Peter ramble on. She loved the kid dearly, but he tended to go on tangents. He was intensely discussing his plan to take MJ out on a date, which Vera was happy to hear about.

It's about time he made a move.

"So, do you think that's a good idea?" Peter's voice brought her back to the conversation. She hesitated as she tried to remember what he had just said.

"Are you even listening?" He huffed like a small child, making her laugh.

"Yeah, yea, totally. Whatever you do, I'm sure she'll love it, Peter." She assured him, avoiding the fact that she did indeed zone out during his monologue.

"You think?"

"I know."

A sudden knock at the door caught Vera by surprise. Peter silenced himself as he listened in.

"Who's that?" He asked. She could picture his eyebrows raised and his eyes wide with curiosity.

"I don't know, why don't you tell me - use your Peter tingle." Vera laughed, earning a small shriek from him. He hated it when people said that.

She got to her feet and padded her way over to the front door, swinging it open to reveal a smiling Steven. Her face immediately mirrored his own.

"Hello, love." He said enthusiastically.

"It's a DUDE?!" Peter screeched through the phone.

Her cheeks immediately reddened, and she hurriedly ended the call without saying anything to the boy. Steven laughed and gave her an inquisitive look.

"Who was that?"

"Just a friend. . being annoying." She said it as if Peter could still hear the word she used to describe him.

"Anyways, come in love." Vera moved out of the way to let him in.

"Bollocks, I would love to. . but I have to head out for a bit. I stopped by to, uh, ask you something." He told her.

The brunette slightly frowned at the thought of being unable to spend time with him for the evening. But she figured he - or Marc- would be up to some Moon Knight adventures tonight.

"Awe, alright. What did you want to ask me?" She tilted her head slightly.

The man gave you a nervous look, rubbing his hands together. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. His beautiful brown eyes were wide, and he bit at his lip.

"Steven?" She gave him a questioning look, snapping him back to reality.

"Oh uh, yea. . I wanted to. ." He took a breath before continuing.

"I wanted to ask you on a proper date. ." He shyly announced, his cheeks burning. Vera beamed a smile at him, her stomach doing small flips at his words.

"I would love that, Steven." She replied, sending a rush of relief through the man's body.

"Really? Wicked!" He grinned like a child on Christmas Day, making her chuckle.

"Wicked indeed."

☽ ♞ ☾

Vera sat on her balcony again, wrapped in a blanket to shield her from the bitter London breeze. Her phone was lying beside her, ringing over and over again.

Fury wanted an update and wanted to know if the woman closed in on any new information on Moon Knight. But, honestly, she didn't want to deal with him at the moment. Her mind was focused on the upcoming date with Steven. She found herself wanting to protect the man from joining S.H.I.E.L.D and the Avengers at this point. He seemed so normal, and she didn't want to ruin that for him.

Vera wondered how long she could avoid her boss before he lost it. She wasn't sure how long, but she would certainly test it.

It had been so long since she'd been happy and open to dating. She had never felt that click with someone. . until now. Of course, her luck would have it happen during a mission - to a man she was supposed to be spying on. She was supposed to find out his secrets and report back to Fury, and that was it.

But when did her objectives ever go as planned?

☽ ♞ ☾