13| 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥

☽ ♞ ☾

☽ ♞ ☾

WAKING UP TO an empty bed was not what Vera expected as she felt around for the warm body she now craved each day. Her eyes shot open, and she looked at where Marc had once been lying. A frown found its way to her lips as she sat up, listening for him anywhere else in the apartment.

She slowly swung her legs over the side, her small feet touching the chilled floor. She rubbed her eyes as she got to her feet.

"Marc?" She called out into the silent apartment.

No response was heard, making her frown further. Had he left her in the middle of the night? A pang of hurt ran through her chest at the thought. She padded around the place, checking to see if he was somewhere she couldn't see, but the place was empty except for her.

Her thoughts immediately went to Moon Knight. Had he slipped out to continue his hero business? Probably. She'd like to think that's what it was, not him skipping out on her.

A bubble of laughter suddenly erupted from Vera as she thought to herself - who would have thought she'd be in London on a mission, falling in love with a potential recruit? It wasn't funny; Fury would probably kill her, but she didn't know how else to react to the situation.

She grabbed a pillow off of the couch and pushed it into her face, letting out a scream into the soft material. She threw it back down, took a deep breath, and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Okay. I'm good. You're good. Go get ready for work." She spoke to herself out loud.

She trudged her way back into her room to begin her morning routine, not looking forward to going to work or seeing Donna again. But maybe Steven would show? She hoped he would.

She quickly got ready, grabbed her stuff, and headed for the door. She glanced back at the couch and thought about the previous evening and how it felt to hold Marc.

God, she missed him already.

She groaned at her internal dialogue as she exited the apartment, locked the door, and headed out into the gloomy London day.

☽ ♞ ☾

Steven let out a groan as he adjusted himself in bed. He rolled around, reaching out to pull Vera closer to him - the spot next to him feeling colder than usual. A frown formed on his face as he felt the empty space beside him. His eyes were still shut as he listened for her, but he could only hear the hum of Gus' fish tank.

The wild-haired man shot up from the bed, looking around the room - his room. He grunted in frustration as he got up and scrambled to his mirror.

"Bollocks, how did we end up here?!" He growled into the mirror, waiting for Marc to respond.

"How do you think?" He grumbled, anger bubbling in his chest.

It had been a while since a blackout had occurred, and neither of them knew what had happened - which meant Jake had been around. Marc was pissed that he or Steven weren't able to wake up next to Vera. He wanted to feel at home when he fell asleep and when he woke. Instead, they were met with cold sheets, the hum of a fish tank, and more anger for their third friend.

"Oh god, she's gonna hate us, isn't she?" Steven groaned as he tugged at his hair.

"Calm down, Steven. . She'll understand. You told her about our habit." Marc tried to calm his alter down.

"I know, but we didn't even go back to her!" He collapsed back onto the bed and grabbed his phone, noting the time.

"I'm gonna be bloody late again." He huffed.

"She's gonna be there, Steven." Marc reminded him.

"You better be ready for some groveling."

☽ ♞ ☾

Vera was walking quickly through the museum, her mind lost in thought. As she rounded a corner, her body collided with another. The other person instinctively grabbed onto her, keeping her from falling. She let out a small yelp of surprise at the sudden contact.

"Love!" Steven's sweet accent hit her ears.

"Steven, hey." She said with a soft smile, her heart still pounding from the scare he had just given her.

"Love, I am so sorry that I wasn't there this morning when you woke up." He immediately began to apologize, his eyes wide with worry.

"Steven -"

"I feel so awful. Please do not think that I was ditching you -"

"Steven!" Vera squealed his name out louder so he could hear her. His eyes got even wider at her tone, now worried that she was about to lay it on him or demand never to see him again.

"S - sorry. ." He whispered softly.

She stepped forward and rested her hands on his cheeks, instantly calming him. A gentle smile danced on her lips before she spoke.

"Steven. It's okay. You told me about your sleeping habits. I didn't think you were skipping out on me. I admit it was upsetting not getting to wake up next to you or Marc, but I understand it's out of your control." The man sighed in relief as he took in her words.

He could feel Marc relax as well. The mercenary didn't act like he was bothered by what happened the previous night, but Steven knew him - he knew it upset him. Not only because he left Vera alone but also because it reminded them that there was a piece of them that was very much out of their control. Neither one of them ever knew what was going on with Jake and Khonshu.

"A - are you sure?" His voice was small.

"I'm positive." She told him before leaning up to kiss his plush lips sweetly.

He grinned at the touch and kissed her back, not caring that they were in the middle of the museum. She pulled away, keeping her hand on his chest and letting it trail slowly down.

"But you and Marc definitely owe me." She sent him a wink with a mischievous smile before turning on her heels and heading towards the main office.

Steven stood awestruck with rosy cheeks once again. He didn't know how to take the comment she had just made. He could feel Marc getting worked up.

"Go after her, Steven." He demanded to his alter.

Steven shook his head and cleared his throat as he tried to gather himself. Marc let out a huff of frustration.

"Steven, I swear to god." His Chicago accent was thick when he got worked up.

"Steven, damnit!" He growled as he watched Vera's figure disappear through the doorway.

"What'd you want me to do? Take her right here, right now?" Steven asked in a flustered tone as he glanced at the door again before heading back to the gift shop.

"Yes!" Marc retorted.

"Not happening, Marc."

☽ ♞ ☾

If you like The Last of Us or Pedro Pascal, go check out my fic bad decisions 💖