12| 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐬

☽ ♞ ☾

☽ ♞ ☾

VERA STARED AT her phone with anger - if she had superpowers, she would have blown the phone up with her mind. But for now, she could just settle for throwing it out her bedroom window.

She scowled again and picked the device up, clicking the end button. Fury had been trying to reach her, but she just didn't have the energy to deal with him or his questions. She tossed the phone on the bed and headed to the living room, where she had set up an assortment of blankets, snacks, and movies.

Steven would arrive soon, and she wanted to surprise him with a little treat. He looked so worn down today at work it hurt her heart. She wanted to provide him with a peaceful night in and some restful sleep.

As Vera finished up making herself a drink, a knock sounded from the front door, signaling that the sweet man had arrived.

She eagerly bounced across the room, stopping in front of the door to calm herself before opening it. Stood before her was a soft smiled Marc, surprising her. She didn't mind it, though.

"Marc." She said softly.

"Hey." He replied in the same tone.

Vera moved to the side and beckoned the man into the flat. He hurried into the apartment, and she shut the door behind him. She turned to look at him as he nervously ran his hands through his hair.

"I know you were expecting Steven -" He explained, but she quickly cut him off.

"I'm content with whichever one of you walks through that door." She assured him.

His heart thudded a little bit faster at her words, a wave of adoration rushing over him. Marc was undeniably falling for Vera; all he wanted was to feel her and her touch. Marc was someone who could be described as touch-starved. His childhood was isolating and lonely, full of abuse and sadness. He hadn't had someone care for him in forever - especially the way she did.

The first time he saw the way she cared after Steven, jealousy swirled within him. Don't get him wrong; Steven deserved it just as much. But he yearned for it. Although, he wouldn't take it from just anyone. It had to be someone he trusted. And Vera, he most certainly did.

"I'm glad to hear you say that." He breathed out a sigh of relief and stepped towards her.

She held his gaze, her wide eyes drawing him in. She closed the distance between the two of them and gently rested her hand on the back of his shoulders, playing with the few curls that fell down onto the nape of his neck. Her other hand rested against his chest, feeling the wild beat of his heart. He stood frozen, not sure what to do or how to proceed.

"Is this okay?" She asked him softly.

He nodded his head yes, not trusting his voice to come out in the right way. Vera smiled reassuringly at him before gently grabbing the hand that lay at his side. She rested it on her cheek, leaning into his touch.

"You can touch me, y'know? It's okay, Marc." She assured him, letting him know he didn't have to hide from her.

As soon as those words left her lips, he fell into her. His lips pressed against hers hungrily but full of passion. She instinctively jumped up and wrapped her legs around his waist, kissing him back with equal adoration and lust.

Vera wasn't sure why Marc made her feel this way. She had only gotten to know him recently, but he captivated her from that moment - well, she was interested since the first time she saw him as moon knight, but he didn't need to know that. Despite being Steven's polar opposite, she felt like she clicked with him immediately. And maybe that was why; they were branches of each other - so why wouldn't she fall for both?

Marc pulled back breathlessly and opened his mouth to begin apologizing for his urgency, but she cut him off with another soft peck to his lips. He furrowed his brows slightly before smiling.

"Don't apologize," Vera whispered before kissing her pointer finger and setting it between his furrowed eyebrows.

The simple gesture made his heart flutter. He closed his eyes for a moment, soaking up the feeling. She jumped down from his arms and grabbed his hands in hers, pulling him to the couch.

"It's time for you two to relax and get some much-needed rest." She spoke as she plopped down onto the piece of furniture.

He nodded in agreement and laid his body across the cushions, resting his head on her lap. His hand found its way to her knee and rubbed small circles with his thumb.

He was grateful that she didn't question why he was the one who was fronting this evening, even though it was Steven with whom she had made the plans. He tried to tell the Brit that he would be fine and to just spend the evening with her. But Steven knew how much Marc needed the personal time, the connection, and the attention.

He had gotten plenty of that from her himself, and he knew he could get more later. So he left Marc to front, against his arguments. Deep down, Marc was thankful that Steven was looking out for him. Something that no one ever did before.

"Thank you." He whispered into the atmosphere, where the only other sound was the TV show that was playing.

"Anything for my boys."

☽ ♞ ☾

Vera was deep asleep, curled up in Marc's arms, her head nuzzled into his neck. Her soft breaths fanned his skin and made his heart flutter, even when he wasn't conscious.

Said man was also asleep, resting peacefully with her tightly secured in his arms. A sudden draft picked up in the room, drowning the two. Vera shivered and snuggled closer to Marc, whose eyes fluttered open. He looked around momentarily, glancing down at the woman he was holding.

A few different expressions flashed across his face as he took in his surroundings. He ever so gently slid out from around her body and got out of the bed. He watched nervously, hoping she wouldn't wake up.

Once he was satisfied with her breathing, he trudged over to the floor-length mirror and looked at himself for a second before glancing over to the corner of the room.

The wind picked up again and sent the familiar chills down his spine. He nodded as if the wind was whispering to him. He grabbed his clothes, slipped them on, and walked over to the window. He glanced back one more time at Vera before disappearing through the pane.

"They'll be seeing you later, cariño."

☽ ♞ ☾