𝟣| 𝖺 𝗉𝖾𝗋𝖿𝗈𝗋𝗆𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾

CHAPTER ONE:

A PERFORMANCE

THE YEAR WAS 1943 and it was like it had been

THE YEAR WAS 1943 and it was like it had been. Men were being sent off to fight in the war, to fight for their country while their wives and family waited at home, praying they made it out alive. Fireworks were exploding high up in the night sky of Brooklyn, New York. Lots of people were ready to watch the expo and the world of tomorrow.

A nice looking vehicle could be seen on stage as music played from the speakers, signaling that the expo was about to start. Many people rushed towards the stage until they were standing in front of it as the dancers did their little routine on the stage. Two girls could be seen together as they pulled each other, one of them pulling her date with them in excitement.

Holding a small bag of popcorn, Steve Rogers held a slight bored expression on his face as he trailed behind his best friend and the two girls he had set them both up with. They were able to get through the crowd, not being too far from the stage as one of the dancers announced a rich man everyone knew onto the stage with a pleased smile.

With his usual smirk underneath his mustache, Howard Stark hopped on stage as he waved at the people clapping for him, taking in all the glory. The same dancer that had announced his name walked towards him, which he gave her his hat before giving her a kiss on the lips. Giving the crowd a knowing look, she handed him the microphone before walking off with the other dancers.

Grabbing a handkerchief from his pocket, the rich man wiped a bit at his mouth. Meanwhile, from within the crowd, Steve leaned a bit closer to the girl his best friend had set him up with as he held out the small bag of popcorn, silently asking her if she wanted some. Noticing this, the girl only gave him a displeased and annoyed look that wiped the smile off her face before looking back forward.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all?" Howard announces as the dancers take the tires off of the vehicle on the stage. "With Stark Gravitic Reversion Technology, you'll be able to do just that."

The crowd watches as he twists a knob on a control panel before grabbing a lever and slowly pulling it up. Everyone's eyes widen in shock and delight at the sight of the automobile beginning to float up above the floor of the stage and when he took his hand off the wheel, many leaned forward to get a closer look.

All of a sudden, a spark electrified near the tires before it collapsed onto the stage with a loud thud, making the dancers and Howard flinch back a bit. The smug smirk that had been on his lips faded as Howard heard the crowd gasp, gulping a bit awkwardly as he hoped they wouldn't laugh at what had just happened. Luckily, they applauded him.

"I did say a few years, didn't I?" Howard awkwardly comments, clearing his throat as he turned to the side of the stage he had walked from. "Now, to take a little break, I'd like to announce the wonderful and beautiful, Y/n Carter, to sing a little song!"

At the sound of the woman that tended to perform in bars or any event that Howard Stark hosted, many people in the crowd clapped and cheered as they watched the dancers and the Stark man leave the stage. Instead of cheering, Steve's head had snapped up from where he had been looking at his feet as his eyes moved to the figure walking out with her guitar in hand.

With a little twirl that had the skirt of her dress moving in a swirl motion while she did it, Y/n Carter held a bright smile on her face as she moved to the microphone that had been placed up at the front for her. Her guitar laid in her arms, the strap over the back of her neck so it wouldn't fall if she were to drop her arms and let go.

"How's everyone doing?" Y/n speaks into the mic, receiving loud cheers. "Guys ready to hear a song?"

When everyone cheered in agreement, she cleared her throat before bringing her glossed lips close enough to the mic. The crowd quieted down as her fingers began to strum to the strings of the guitar, her voice soon echoing from the microphone. As she started singing, Steve found himself admiring her like he always did whenever he had watched her perform.

All his life, he had never caught a girls attention because of how small and weak he was. A girl had never really caught his attention until he was in a bar with his best friend and the very same girl on stage now had performed in front of everyone, despite some of the whistles she'd get from the guys in the bar. But he knew if she met him, she wouldn't bat an eye.

For all he knew, most girls wanted a big, strong and mean guy, things that Steve wasn't. He had never been rude to a woman in his entire life. He may have been angry at his mother sometimes, but he never disrespected her like so many men did to women. His blue gaze admired the way her fingers strummed the strings of her instrument, the way her voice sang to the words and the way her skirt moved as she bobbed her body a bit to the beat.

Bucky Barnes glanced towards his best friend, seeing the trance he was in as he stared at the singer on the stage. A knowing smile etched on his face as he glanced between the two before giving the small blonde a small nudge to his shoulder. This snapped Steve out of his trance as he looked towards the bigger brunette, noticing the knowing expression he was giving him.

Lightly shoving him back a bit, the blue eyed man rolled his eyes as he looked away, her voice ringing in his ears as he glanced around at the crowd. When he looked over his shoulder, his gaze caught sight of a poster referring to the war hung up, the printed man on the poster seeming to point directly at him as the words wrote 'I WANT YOU' printed at the top.

At the reminder of him trying to sign up for the army since the war had started took over his mind and taking one last glance at the singer on the stage, he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his pants as he ventured off without his best friend or the girls noticing.